4th Brew Today, 2/4/12- Weihenstaphaner Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Doing 1-Gallon BIAB batch of this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/weihenstephaner-dunkel-clone-42549/

Altered as:

Malts and Fermentables:
Pilsner Malt- 0.91lb
Wheat Malt- 0.91lb
Honey Malt- 0.18lb
Special B- 0.18lb

Strike temp 157
Mash temp 153 for 1 hr

Hops:
Mt. Hood- 0.18oz @ 60 min.

Boil 1 hr

Yeast:
Wyeast 3068 - (Per Mr. Malty- #Vials or packs needed without starter: 0.5)

Target SG: 1.057
My SG (after adding any top off water mixed thoroughly with wort): ??? (still boiling)

I noticed that the strike water temp might've been a degree too high. Once I added the grains, it only dropped to 154. Further, after 1 hour of mashing (in a closed oven turned off, wrapped in towels), it seems like I was only at around 151-150.

I also compensated for the fact that no matter how hard I try, I always have too little wort, so this time, even though I calculated 1.87 gallons needed, I used 2. With 10 min. left in the boil, it looks like I'll have extra wort.

sounds like a nice beer. i wouldn't sweat the mash temps, you were off by a degree. with BIAB, it's tough to be spot on with temps, especially in a small mash. i often miss by a degree or to with the strike water, what i do is start my mash on the thick side, and have a pan of pre boiled near boiling water and a jug of pre boiled cool water and use those to adjust temps. it's tricky with as small a mash as you had, but it works for me in 3-6 gal batches.

Blah..I didn't trust my original water calculations of needing 1.87 gallons, as everytime I DO trust the calculations, I come up short. So this time, I rounded my 1.87 gallons to 2 gallons, and my OG is 1.041 vs 1.057 in the recipe :(

So it's been about 2 hours since I've pitched half of my Wyeast smack pack (per Mr. Malty's calculations)...Not seeing any signs of fermentation at all. Temp is 68 degrees...Anyone have any idea why?

Just bottled this sumbytch and put the leftovers that were left in the bottling wand in a small glass and put it in the fridge for about 45 minutes.

Just took it out and tasted it....SO HAPPY! I could taste the hint of banana behind the wheaty maltiness. Now I've just got to wait 3 more weeks + 1 week of being in the fridge. VERY please how this seems to have turned out thusfar :ban:

Back