Belgian Pale supposed to be sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I have been trying to brew a few different styles including some that I am not very familiar with. I brewed the belgian pale extract kit from morebeer and used white labs abbey 530.

It has a sour taste. I wasn't sure that I liked it at first, but it has kind of grown on me. Is it supposed to be sour or did I do something wrong? Thanks.

Hey, there are some kinds of Belgian beers (mainly lambics) that have a sour taste, but Belgian pales are not included in that category. Belgian pales are generally malty, almost sweet and a little spicy. At this point, I should advise you that I've never brewed a Belgian pale, but I've had many commercial varieties. You probably had some kind of bacterial infection, or a wild yeast. Nothing wrong with it if you like it, and it won't hurt you, but the taste isn't characteristic of a Belgian pale.

lambics and sour ales actually use types of wild yeast to help give them that flavor. so, like sutpen said...it may have some wild yeast but as long as it tastes good it's not a problem. no matter what, beer is not going to kill you or make you go blind or any of that nonsense...the worst thing you have to fear is a bad flavor

go over your process and make sure you're practicing proper sanitation.

but i'd say your biggest problem is that if this turns out to be the greatest beer ever...you probably won't be able to replicate it ;)

this leads me to my next question. I havn't thrown up from alcohol since I was a school boy but after an evening of throwing back pints of this beer I was sick as a dog.

Also, the beer is pretty cloudy even though it has been cold for more than a week. No whirlfloc or irish moss used.

What do you think?

i didn't say it wouldn't make you sick...i said it won't kill you or make you go blind

beer that is truly infected and could make you ill will not be drinkable...you'll know it long before you drink enough to have the effects.

that being said...yeast can upset the stomach and i had a kit once from my LHBS called "Black Death Stout". It was the first beer i brewed. tasted awesome, just don't drink too much of it or it will give you the Black Death. ugh. Don't think i left the bathroom that Sunday.

...worth every sip, tho ;)

If this were a kit for Petrus Oak Aged Pale then I would say "Yes, the sour character is completely in line with that beer and congratulations for being able to replicate it." However, I doubt this is a desired taste in the beer brewed from this particular kit. Sounds like you have an infection.

I would also advise sterilizing the bejesus out of all the equipment that came into contact with that wort after you pitched the yeast....primary, secondary, bung, airlock, syphon, etc.....

Thanks for the input guys. This beer is still a little green, so I think I will let it condition a little to see what happens. It is no real sour, just a hint. I am wondering if I just had too much yeast still hanging around.

I agree with the cleaning and have done so. I have brewed 3 beers since and so far so good.

Thanks.

Back