Arduino vs Netduino

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayerischBier

Reaction score
Prost!

I'm looking since a while into an Arduino board to control my 2x1500W electric elements in the BK, and then potentially RIMS and HLT elements. Oh, and don't forget your hidden fermentation chambers in the basement which need cooling/heating control - one controller for both brewing and fermenting/lagering.

Lurking the internet for BlackFriday-BrewingGadgets I found the netduino:
http://www.netduino.com/ :ban:

It claims to be faster, more flash and ram, 32bit, AND a .NET platform for coding that piece.....uhm your brewcontroller.

Anyone already playing with the Netduino?
Any comments about it?

tom

Netduino appears out of stock in North America (or perhaps it was never in stock). It looks nice, and its computing power is definitely greater than any Arduino I've seen. However, for your application(s), Arduino would work just fine. I doubt you're going to max out an Arduino as a temperature/brew rig controller. If anything, you'll find that you'd like more analog inputs. In that case, the Netduino offers no advantage. Look into an Arduino Mega or Sanguino if you need more pins.

If you're already well versed in C# and Microsoft development platforms, then Netduino offers an advantage. Otherwise, it's a toss-up between Arduino and Netduino for your project (assuming you can actually get a Netduino).

I do a lot of playing with the Arduino platform. Right now I'm messing with one as a spindle/RPM control on a small mill. It's working well - even interfacing with CNC software. My biggest challenge is wiring. As usual, the project is overly ambitious, and I'm using proto-boards until I decide upon a final design. That means I'm dealing with a big rat's nest until I get sick of it and either have a board fabbed or make one myself.

I have a Netduino Plus on order from proto-advantage.com (no biz relationship). I spoke with some of the folks at PDC in Seattle last month and decided to go for it. Initially i'm going to build a networked temp logger with a handful of temp sensors on it. I'm looking to get some insight into my fermentation temp control.

After that I'll start looking into using it as part of upgrading my brew process from everything manual to something automated.

Oh btw... thanks for the great reply!

the .Net environment seems to be a big plus for the Netduino.
However, I personally see no problem as former .net-developer to 'adjust' to the arduino - let's say the coding does not scare me away.

practical question:
thinking about to use those SSRs from auberins and was wondering that the arduino uno has as specs a 40mA per pin output, the netduino lists only ~8mA? Assuming a proper ventilation around the arduino, a direct wiring to the SSRs should be possible for PWM?

You would probably be safer using a FET between SSR and Arduino output to minimize the draw on the processor chip. Have you seen the touch screen ARM platforms available, seems like a more robust platform to start from if you are willing to spend more.

well as own hardware goes, I was thinking about it although you still need the SSRs etc... and then put that thought aside....
as usual, time and money, took over and even put my brewing production to a low.

Brewtroller has its charme thus I am thinking to start a joint-venture-project down the road and it can help with that. (once I am done with this very very long research paper)

don't tell me that brewtroller runs on SQL?

networking - not so much.
SQL - enough to write odbc based applications in .net, some PL/SQL connects and server based procedures

Probably not a chance, the phase 2 plc based system is another story though, currently running a Java app with conversion to C# underway at this time. I am looking at reducing the graphics and code to run on a touch screen ARM platform instead of a PC. I thought there might be a use for a controller that combined recipe generation with process control on a touch screen platform.

I am also looking at the "Friendly ARM" platform, just debating which size touch screen to use for development. There are enough interface boards available that building a control system with off the shelf parts should not be much of a challenge.

I am also looking at the "Friendly ARM" platform, just debating which size touch screen to use for development. There are enough interface boards available that building a control system with off the shelf parts should not be much of a challenge.

Agreed...You can get an ARM9 SBC with 7" touch screen for under $150. You can connect ModBus devices easily enough.

Back