Coor's Disposable Keg = Party Pig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer4U

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a dumb idea or a dumb question. I'm just beginning to get into brewing (made first batch of summer ale tonight, went without a hitch =). When I was at my local grocery store I ran into a small plastic keg of Coor's. It looked very similar to the party pigs I've seen online, and I was wondering if anyone's tried converting these into a usable device. I believe it only costs 20$ and might be worth a try! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Fresh off AHA Tech Talk
from
Jim Todd
Brewers Of South Suburbia (BOSS)

It looks like the tap might screw off. If you're able to find replacement CO2 cartridges, then this set up looks ideal. Here's a link to a picture with instructions.

3661960919_839790a8e3.jpg

On the bottom left, you pull the blue ring and screw the co2 cylinder up till it stops. Then you pull donw on the little blue lever to unlock the Lite handle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blaidd0905/3661960919

where do you even get these things? I have never seen them, and a google search returns this picture on Flickr

Real Draft Beer coming to your Home!
Superior Beverage Group in Columbus has been selected to be one of 7 test markets in the country for the “NEW” HOME DRAFT package from Miller/Coors. The “Home Draft” innovation allows consumers at-home consumption of Miller Lite and Coors Light draft beer in a 5.7 liter self contained unit. This package offers the convenience to consumers to enjoy draft beer served upright in the fridge that keeps beer fresh for 30 days. The Home Draft unit has a CO2 tap system attached to each unit that provides a crisp clean taste after every pour.

HomeDraft.jpg

3661961149_352a63faa8.jpg

3662762752_5074d4ea30.jpg

Cool, so it basically a party big in a box filled with **** beer. What kind of CO2 cartridges does it take?

Leland Limited: Small High Pressure Cylinders makes small co2 cartridges in a variety of sizes and form factors, they also make the mini-regulator that Williams Brewing sells. A 6L tap-a-draft uses 2 16g co2 cartridges so I'm betting it would take a 30g cart for this 5.7L version. Someone needs to buy one and feed the swill to someone else and take one apart for measurements of the co2 cart.

This draft system is doomed to failure if they're really charging $20 for 5.7L of domestic beer. The equivalent of a 16-pack of 12oz beers for $20? You can get those mini 5L kegs for $18 filled with imports like Warsteiner and Paulaner. Let's see... $1.30 per 12oz of Paulaner or $1.25 per 12oz of Coors Light "draft?" This thing would have to be $12 to per on par with the cost of 12-pack bottles or $10 to be on par with the cost of those 30-pack cube o' cans.

Yeah, I still am a fan of the 5L german mini-kegs for refilling. Works great for dispensing real ale and bringing it to parties. And thoes are only $15-17, making the coors way overpriced, IMHO.

This draft system is doomed to failure if they're really charging $20 for 5.7L of domestic beer.

But it's DRAFT BMC-lite, so you have to compare it to BMC-lite at the local dive purchased by the 13 ounce pint.

Widmer has their hefeweizen in 5Ls for $20.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb idea or a dumb question. I'm just beginning to get into brewing (made first batch of summer ale tonight, went without a hitch =). When I was at my local grocery store I ran into a small plastic keg of Coor's. It looked very similar to the party pigs I've seen online, and I was wondering if anyone's tried converting these into a usable device. I believe it only costs 20$ and might be worth a try! Thanks for the feedback guys!

This is not a Party Pig. . . this is another model of Tap-A-Draft, made as a disposable unit. You won't be able to reuse it. . . you would be better off buying a reusable Tap-A-Draft.

Leland Limited: Small High Pressure Cylinders makes small co2 cartridges in a variety of sizes and form factors, they also make the mini-regulator that Williams Brewing sells. A 6L tap-a-draft uses 2 16g co2 cartridges so I'm betting it would take a 30g cart for this 5.7L version. Someone needs to buy one and feed the swill to someone else and take one apart for measurements of the co2 cart.

Tap-A-Draft uses 2 8-gram CO2 cartridges. This Draft-Beer box uses 1 16-gram CO2 cartridge.

This is not a Party Pig. . . this is another model of Tap-A-Draft, made as a disposable unit. You won't be able to reuse it. . . you would be better off buying a reusable Tap-A-Draft.

Why wouldn't you be able to reuse it?

Why wouldn't you be able to reuse it?

They designed it so it "breaks" if you try to change out the CO2 cartridge. If you put a new CO2 cartridge in, it may or may not stay in place. Frankly, a CO2 cartridge that isn't held in place really well after it's punctured seems dangerous to me. If you're careful, I suppose you could reuse it. I just wouldn't.

They designed it so it "breaks" if you try to change out the CO2 cartridge. If you put a new CO2 cartridge in, it may or may not stay in place. Frankly, a CO2 cartridge that isn't held in place really well after it's punctured seems dangerous to me. If you're careful, I suppose you could reuse it. I just wouldn't.

Ah! So the cover of the co2 cart doesn't just screw on like we would normally expect. What part breaks?

I too had the crazy idea of reusing these after choking down the crap inside. Finally polished it off the other day. The tap itself comes out no problem but you can't unscrew the CO2 cartridge. When you activate it (ie turn the cartridge) it clicks. I'm guessing it is almost like a socket, you can turn it one way, but not the other. If anyone else has any luck getting out the CO2 let me know. I thought it may be an economical way to take some home brew to a party, but looks like it may be more of a PIMA than it's worth.

I too had the crazy idea of reusing these after choking down the crap inside. Finally polished it off the other day. The tap itself comes out no problem but you can't unscrew the CO2 cartridge. When you activate it (ie turn the cartridge) it clicks. I'm guessing it is almost like a socket, you can turn it one way, but not the other. If anyone else has any luck getting out the CO2 let me know. I thought it may be an economical way to take some home brew to a party, but looks like it may be more of a PIMA than it's worth.

Same here!

I bought one the other day and almost finished with it.

I was going to see if it can be reused somehow!

As you mentioned, when you turn the CO2 cylinder, it clicks, so not sure you can get this back off. As soon as I am done, it will get taken apart somehow! LOL

FYI the CO2 can be taken out pretty easily. I just took a pair of channel locks and backed it off less than a quarter turn and it came out by hand. There is a plastic tab that falls into a gear shape on the housing that just broke off. The housing that holds the CO2 threads in with no problem now, so there shouldn't be any issue with safety. The cartridge measures 7/8 diameter by 3 1/2 length with the tip being 3/8 diameter.

FYI the CO2 can be taken out pretty easily. I just took a pair of channel locks and backed it off less than a quarter turn and it came out by hand. There is a plastic tab that falls into a gear shape on the housing that just broke off. The housing that holds the CO2 threads in with no problem now, so there shouldn't be any issue with safety. The cartridge measures 7/8 diameter by 3 1/2 length with the tip being 3/8 diameter.

Yeah, I just found that out as I finished mine!

This should definately be re-useable!

CO2 catridges are standard issue!

I'd be curious if a Tap-a-Draft head will screw onto the bottle. Maybe they're using the same bottles. If I find folks buying these things, I could score the bottles off them cheap for my TAD system. :D

the article i read said its going to cost 15% more then regularly buying cans or bottles

For what it's worth it takes a 16 g cartridge. I had to jam a little tp in the bottom of the holder to get it to puncture, but it pressurized again. I just have some iodophore solution in it right now but I figured it could use a good sanitizing and it's the perfect size 1.5 gal for 1 tsp!!

just a quick thought what is the bottle made of (triangle number ?)

It's PET, 1 inside the triangle FYI

Does CO2 have any detrimental effects on iodophor?? Just curious don't want to kill a brew with my little experiment

Here is something I am curious on, but not sure:

When we go to re-use this.......would we just add uncarbonated beer, and let the CO2 cartridge fully carbonate it?

Would the CO2 cartridge be enough to carbonate that much beer and dispense it?

If not, I guess you would add sugar when you fill it up so it would create the carbonation, then the CO2 cartridge would just be used to maintain carbonation as well as help dispense!

I am not sure if when they initially filled it up, if they put in carbonated beer, and the CO2 cartridge was to help dispense it.......or if the beer was uncarbonated, and the CO2 cartridge was enough to carbonate AND dispense it?

very cool, i can't wait to get one up here to play with. I have been looking for portable systems to take on the boat. And didn't really want to pay for the TAD system.

Back