What type of tubing for brew rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
I built a herms system last summer and have brewed a few batches with good results. I am having one problem though.

I am using braided vinly tubing with Quick disconnects. The heat from the wort seems to soften the tubing after awhile kinking the tubing.

I was wondering what other people are using for high heat tubing that will not kink and keep form under such high heat and where to get it as well?

That looks like the best best. I"m going to upgrade to that stuff eventually... when I have money in the brew gadget budget again.

There's also food grade suction hose but I think they don't make that smaller than 3/4".

I'm also guessing the silicone won't melt when you accidentally get a hose to close to a burner?

northern brewer has some stuff for 1.40 a ft I dont thinks its translucent though.

northern brewer has some stuff for 1.40 a ft I dont thinks its translucent though.

Thermoplastic rubber tubing. I use it for hot side transfers all the time. I bring it up now and then but people seem to be adverse to it for some reason. Maybe it's just the fact that it's not clear.

well I don't really think there are suction on these march pumps its a gravity fed pumping system. Its nice to see the wort going through the hose for sure but I can see the wort coming out of my manifold I make anyways so I can see if its coming out.

I'm going to a place here in Winnipeg to see if I can purchase some silicone tubing locally. If not I will get it from where ever ships it the cheapest.

I really like the Thermoplastic tubing from Northern brewer and Plan to continue to use it. It is nice and stiff so it will never collapse, handles High heat, and feels good in the hand. Plus, On my new rig I will be covering all my lines anyway so the translucency gets me nowhere.

well I don't really think there are suction on these march pumps its a gravity fed pumping system. Its nice to see the wort going through the hose for sure but I can see the wort coming out of my manifold I make anyways so I can see if its coming out.

I'm going to a place here in Winnipeg to see if I can purchase some silicone tubing locally. If not I will get it from where ever ships it the cheapest.

Well, these pumps DO have suction and it's substantial. Don't believe it? Try putting your thumb over the end of the suction line while submerged with the pump running and fully primed. They aren't self priming, we all know that, but they do have suction once primed.

I built a herms system last summer and have brewed a few batches with good results. I am having one problem though.

I am using braided vinly tubing with Quick disconnects. The heat from the wort seems to soften the tubing after awhile kinking the tubing.

I was wondering what other people are using for high heat tubing that will not kink and keep form under such high heat and where to get it as well?

BJ - I've been using the the braided PVC tubing without problems, but the hose I am using is 7/8" OD x 5/8" ID. This is much larger than what I see typically used by other home brewers. The larger diameter tubing is much less prone to kinking or collapsing and I think this is because the tubing wall is thicker. I do use elbows at critical points and this helps tremendously. While the silicone tubing with QD's is certainly tits, I'm not having any issues with the PVC tubing and it's a lot less expensive. The larger tubing diameter also improves pump performance considerably. I haven't priced large diameter silicone tubing, but I would bet that it's beyond my present budget.

All pumps have suction when there is liquid in the head. Basic physics.

i'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about this but the march pumps are not self priming pumps.

"What does self-priming mean? A pump that is not self-priming will not suck air and must be fed liquid via gravity before it will begin to pump. The pump head and lines must be full before the pumps is started. A pump that is self-priming will pump air and therefore can create a suction that will draw liquid out of a vessel. "

So since they do not suck air they do not really suck liquid it pushes it :rockin:

Basic physics :)

BJ - I've been using the the braided PVC tubing without problems, but the hose I am using is 7/8" OD x 5/8" ID. This is much larger than what I see typically used by other home brewers. The larger diameter tubing is much less prone to kinking or collapsing and I think this is because the tubing wall is thicker. I do use elbows at critical points and this helps tremendously. While the silicone tubing with QD's is certainly tits, I'm not having any issues with the PVC tubing and it's a lot less expensive. The larger tubing diameter also improves pump performance considerably. I haven't priced large diameter silicone tubing, but I would bet that it's beyond my present budget.

I was using the braided vinyl hose for beverage use and noticed that after a few times of use it would soften up and kink on me a abit.

I think that its rated for 150 F Ive been doing mash outs with my system and this is where im getting the problems.

i'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about this but the march pumps are not self priming pumps.

"What does self-priming mean? A pump that is not self-priming will not suck air and must be fed liquid via gravity before it will begin to pump. The pump head and lines must be full before the pumps is started. A pump that is self-priming will pump air and therefore can create a suction that will draw liquid out of a vessel. "

So since they do not suck air they do not really suck liquid it pushes it :rockin:

Basic physics :)

I never said they were self priming. But once primed they push and suck. Don't believe me, let your grain bed get stuck and watch how fast your inlet tubing collapses. :)

They don't suck air because the impeller is way smaller than the housing. Anyway..... You can't push without also pulling. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. :)

As for braided PVC. Some brands have thicker walls than others. I have some that barely flexes and some that collapses by looking at it funny.

Suction hose is stiff as hell and has a wire embedded in the pvc the keeps it from collapsing. 3/4" might be a bit big though. That's the smallest size I've seen.

I take it the silicone doesn't collapse because it does not get soft when warm like PVC does?

Anyone know of a HB store in portland area that sells silcone tubing? I'm heading down that way tomorrow. I think we are crossing the border near Oroville, WA.

B3 has the translucent thermoplastic tubing. I would check everywhere else before going to them though.

Ongoing inventory problems make them a real pain to deal with. I just got an order that was backordered 10 weeks after they stated they had all the parts. It even took them 3 business days to ship it after they told me they had all the parts and it was going to ship same day. Goofs.

One plus though... I did get a $80 item for free as they packed it on an earlier shipment and did not charge me for it.

Anyone know of a HB store in portland area that sells silcone tubing? I'm heading down that way tomorrow. I think we are crossing the border near Oroville, WA.

You can try Steinbart 234 SE 12th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97214 USA

Usually expensive on equipment but they do have a big selection. I would call first.

The silicone will collapse with enough suction, but with the 1/2" ID with 3/4"OD it doesn't collapse very easily.

the 3/8"ID stuff I have with 1/16" walls collapses way to easily and I about threw my pump away when I was using that stuff. Good for gravity transfers but not much else.

BrewMaster's warehouse seems to have the tubing for $2 a foot. Just make sure it is the 3/4" OD stuff

I tried to obtain some locally but I cant seem to find a place that sells the stuff.

US plastics has it for more then the online brew shops are selling it for.

I think I may just order some from Austin home brew. I have never dealt with them before but the shipping is less then Northern Brewer by a couple of dollars.

Back