Skinny Shamrock's Dumb Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyShamrock

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP008 East Coast Ale
Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 73*
Extract:
3.5 lbs. light DME
1 lb. American wheat extract
1 lb. CaraPils

Hops:
.25 oz. Centennial pellet hops
.5 oz. Amarillo leaf hops

-Steep CaraPils in muslin bag in 2 gallons of water for 45 minutes at 155*
-Remove bag, bring to boil, turn off heat
-Add .5 lbs. of the light DME, and all of the wheat DME, turn heat back on, and bring to rolling boil
-Add the Centennial, and start 60 minute boil
-At 15 minutes left, add the Amarillo (I didn't use a bag, just loose hops right in the kettle)
-At flameout, stir in rest of light DME (3 lbs.)
-Cool to 80*, pitch White Labs WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast
-OG: 1.044

-Ferment until gravity reaches 1.010, or for 14 days, at 73*
-Bottle condition for three weeks
-Drink

is this any good?

also, amirillo leafs.....what is that for?

edit: also what does adding the other 3 pounds of dme at flameout do. Wouldnt that be pretty sweet beer???

noob=me ;)

You tell us! Looks good to me, but the ultimate test is the taste test! Have you had any other this batch to drink yet?

Oh hey, sorry, haha.

The beer turned out really well. Very sweet, awesome hop flavor, I assume from the Amarillo. It's very light and drinkable. Best to cold-crash the bottles, if you ever use the WLP008 in the future, you'll realize it has terrible flocculation. It has to sit in the bottle/secondary for quite a while.

And to answer the questions, "Amarillo leaf" is just a way of saying that the hops are whole dried hops, not pellets or plugs. And I added most of the extract at the end to lighten the color of the beer. Search for "late extract addition" and you'll find tons of info.

Back