Growing hops in a whiskey barrel with casters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rami

Reaction score
I found a JD whiskey barrel at Lowes today, they had about 20 in stock, and decided to give a shot at growing centennial. I just planted 5 cascade rhizomes the other day in ground at a different location and wanted to try growing at my house in the city...hence the barrel.

My backyard is mostly concrete, so i threw some casters on there to get it around super easy. Two of the casters have wheel locks to keep it from rolling. We get those earthquakes out here ya know... :rockin:

photo-1--59219.jpg

photo-3--59220.jpg

photo-4--59221.jpg

photo-5--59222.jpg

looks like you already got the dirt in the barrels... I did the same thing last year and the first time I tried to move the barrel, the casters broke (5 min after I filled the barrel with soil) For anyone thinking of doing this, it seems like a great idea, just spend the bucks for decent casters! Looks good!

looks like you already got the dirt in the barrels... I did the same thing last year and the first time I tried to move the barrel, the casters broke (5 min after I filled the barrel with soil) For anyone thinking of doing this, it seems like a great idea, just spend the bucks for decent casters! Looks good!

Yes. Good advice. The casters I used are rated at 125lb each. I made sure to get decent ones. They do sell cheap ones so make sure to buy the proper rating and to use washers with your bolts. This thing is heavy when everything adds up.

I wish i put casters on mine :(

If its not too late it'd be a good idea to drill some drainage holes in the bottom. Unsurprisingly these planters are pretty good at holding water!

Good call on the drainage holes. I used a spade bit to drill several holes, then lined the barrel with weed blocker to prevent soil and roots from coming out the bottom. I probably have a total of 3 square feet of dirt in my backyard, so anything I grow has to be in a planter. The weed blocker over drainage holes has worked great and keeps my deck clean.

Back