Splitting a 1/2BBL into Cornys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this?
There is a commercial beer I'd like to buy but only available in the 1/2BBL size, and don't want to sacrifice space in my keg cooler for a full 1/2BBL.

I imagine that with the right fittings, that you'd be able to do this. Foaming likely problematic even if you attempted to counter-pressure fill, but since you can force-carb after the fact, as long as you don't make a mess no problemo.

Did a search but didn't see any relevant results.

TD

If you have the keg coupler already, make up a line (3/16" ID) to go from the liquid side to the liquid post on your corny keg. Purge the pressure from the source keg so that it's lower, and then connect up to the liquid post on the destination keg. You'll probably want to remove the lid from the corny keg (purge it with CO2 first) so you can watch the level. Then have three corny kegs on hand to fill from the 1/2 barrel keg. At most, you could need a few psi of pressure to push the beer from the source keg. I wouldn't use more than 5psi to do the transfer.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind. The distributor had a keg of Stone Anniv. Arr. Bastard, but my retailer was on vacation, and by the time he returned, the keg had sold....

Good info though - sounds much akin to counter pressure bottling procedure...

TD

It's easiest to just attach all three kegs together. From sanke to out post then in post to the next out post, etc. Just have to vent the third keg.

It's easiest to just attach all three kegs together. From sanke to out post then in post to the next out post, etc. Just have to vent the third keg.

So you're changing out the gas post on the middle corny keg to a liquid post and putting a cut dip tube into it? IME/IMO, bad idea. Unless you have a spare liquid dip tube you can cut down really short. I've transferred carbonated beer from one keg to a smaller keg (to bring to a gathering) without issue. Use a small amount of pressure to do the transfer, vent the receiving keg (I pulled the lid to make sure I wouldn't fill too far) and the source keg, and then do the push. Filling from the bottom of the receiving keg makes a huge difference.

BTW, it's really easy to just change the keg it's filling with my method. When one corny is full, just disconnect the liquid side (from the keg being filled) and put it onto the next one. I do that every time I fill my kegs from fermenting vessel anyway.

You need a spunding valve to reduce foaming in the kegs that are receiving the beer from the other keg, and need to purge air from all kegs with cO2. Otherwise, it will lose cO2 from the beer, and oxidize due to oxygen exposure. Speaking from experience here...

I believe JRems means beer goes out from sankey to the out on the first corny, then from gas in or corny to out of 2nd, repeat for third and then purge pressure from third that way when the first is filled it starts filling the second, then third. That way they are in series, and you do not have to mess with things.

In this case, though you really want to be sure that you have purged the receiving kegs. You would need two corny liquid to gas jumpers, and one for sankey to corny. (3 beer out, 2 gas in, and one sankey connectors)

Back