MonsterMill thumbscrew tighness and gap adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I milled the first time with my MM2 2.0 today and had a heck of a time getting the gap stable. The docs say to finger tighten the thumb screws when you have the gap set. So I did that. But then whenever the drill I was using would catch a bit when dumping grain into he hopper, the setscrews would jump out of position and change the gap. So I used a pliers to tighten the thumbscrews down pretty good, which more or less works. But the instruction sheet seems to say that shouldn't be necessary.

So does anyone get the MM setscrews locked in place by hand tightening the thumbscrews, or are pliers always necessary? Also, it seems kinda odd that you have to remove the thumbscrews and thus regap the mill every time you take the hopper off to clean the rollers, or is that what people normally do?

NEVER use pliers to tighten the set screws. It will ruin the threads on your frame. Finger tightening should be all that's needed. Call Fred at MM if you're having trouble. He will help you out for sure.

I had the same problem with my MM2 2.0. Finger tightening would not keep the gap consistent. It would grown substantially with the first 10lb of grain through the mill. I ended up using pliers too, but after 6 months managed to shear the heads off.

I resolved the issue by contacting Monster Mill, who sent me a set of bolts with hex heads on them.

I too had a problem with the thumb screws. Long story short, contact Fred and ask him to send you some Hex bolts. Once I swapped them out I haven't had a problem since. It's really a great mill once you get that settled. Good luck.

So I milled the first time with my MM2 2.0 today and had a heck of a time getting the gap stable. The docs say to finger tighten the thumb screws when you have the gap set. So I did that. But then whenever the drill I was using would catch a bit when dumping grain into he hopper, the setscrews would jump out of position and change the gap. So I used a pliers to tighten the thumbscrews down pretty good, which more or less works. But the instruction sheet seems to say that shouldn't be necessary.

So does anyone get the MM setscrews locked in place by hand tightening the thumbscrews, or are pliers always necessary? Also, it seems kinda odd that you have to remove the thumbscrews and thus regap the mill every time you take the hopper off to clean the rollers, or is that what people normally do?

Hello, MM 2-2.0 here too, I have no trouble with my mill holding the gap, If you don't want to deal with anything being in the way of taking the hopper off, might I suggest using allen head set screws with a allen wrench, both of your problems solved at the same time.

Cheers :mug:

Hello, MM 2-2.0 here too, I have no trouble with my mill holding the gap, If you don't want to deal with anything being in the way of taking the hopper off, might I suggest using allen head set screws with a allen wrench, both of your problems solved at the same time.

What size and thread allen screws would be needed?

What size and thread allen screws would be needed?

I have not gaged it lol, I would take one of the thumb screws with me to the hardware store and compare, also look in the hole to guest-a-mate how long the allen screw should be, or if you have a micrometer use that.

I had same issue, fortunately Fred is great guy who obviously know how to run business.
After contacting him about this problem he sent me new hex bolts, I live in Croatia so cost for shipping was probably higher than bolts but it wasn't doubtful for him.. highly commendable.
It is working like a charm now.

I had the same problem and 'tweeked' mine with a set of pliers. So far so good. But, I'll probably just replace them with bolts.

Back