Frying Turkey, can't find my dipper!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So frying a turkey again (Hey, I jut happen to have this turkey fryer laying around) and due to moving this past July, some (most?) of our stuff is still in the process of being unpacked.

But, I cannot find the turkey dipper device. It's the aluminum disc with the rod coming out, that you skewer the turkey on, and use it to lower and raise the bird.

Wondering if any of you might have a good suggestion to use to dip and raise the 13 lb turkey. I can't seem to think of anything suitable for doing this. Stainless steel chain?

I want to say I've seen coat hangers used, but I've never done it myself so I'm not sure.

I don't see why chain wouldn't work.

Just to be clear, my 'no' list consists of arms, face, tongs, stick, and celery. So I think I"m okay so far.

I thought about a coat hanger but not sure if they are normally coated with varnish that might come off in the oil.

Right now, I'm thinking about looping a chain I have around the bird, and using that, but not sure on the length.

Just to be clear, my 'no' list consists of arms, face, tongs, stick, and celery. So I think I"m okay so far.

I thought about a coat hanger but not sure if they are normally coated with varnish that might come off in the oil.

Right now, I'm thinking about looping a chain I have around the bird, and using that, but not sure on the length.

You could always hit the coat hanger with the burner or a propane torch for a few seconds and turn it red hot to burn off any varnish or oils on it you don't want in your food.

Could also look for a stainless steel paper towel holder. AB used his from his turkey fryer for a holder...could go the other with a little consideration on how to do it.

Damn. You are just far enough away to make this REALLY inconvenient. I have one from when I used to use a turkey fryer pot. Never used the dipper thing you're talking about but it's still floating around my basement somewhere. I would gladly let you have it, but I don't get home from work tomorrow until around 730. If you are willing to drive all this way, you can have it. But at a little over an hour away, its just a little too inconvenient.

Sorry, man. If you mentioned something over the weekend, I would have gladly made a road trip to visit Bell's or Olde Peninsula and bring you what I have.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I am in luck as the dipper piece has been located by awesome wife. Thanksgiving is saved!

jmendez29, I appreciate your offer, and wouldn't expect you to have to make a trip, especially with me having so few homebrews on hand for trade. :) (besides we are in Chicagoland now)

I have had a suspicion for a long time that wives purposely hide things around the house so we have to ask them to help us find said items. My theory is that it gives them some sense of purpose.

I have had a suspicion for a long time that wives purposely hide things around the house so we have to ask them to help us find said items. My theory is that it gives them some sense of purpose.

They call it "Putting it away". I have the same issue.

If I left my pants on the floor for a reason. So I would know where they are at.

Dang.

Damn. You are just far enough away to make this REALLY inconvenient. I have one from when I used to use a turkey fryer pot. Never used the dipper thing you're talking about but it's still floating around my basement somewhere. I would gladly let you have it, but I don't get home from work tomorrow until around 730. If you are willing to drive all this way, you can have it. But at a little over an hour away, its just a little too inconvenient.

Sorry, man. If you mentioned something over the weekend, I would have gladly made a road trip to visit Bell's or Olde Peninsula and bring you what I have.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I am in luck as the dipper piece has been located by awesome wife. Thanksgiving is saved!

jmendez29, I appreciate your offer, and wouldn't expect you to have to make a trip, especially with me having so few homebrews on hand for trade. :) (besides we are in Chicagoland now)

Now that you are on the other side of the pond in Arlington Heights, I could have loaned you mine (I have never used it either, and this year is no different as the Turkey is going on the smoker). Glad you found yours. :mug:

Back