Freezing fresh apple juice for later (cider) use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markowe

Reaction score
Thoughts?

Now that apples are the cheapest they'll get all year, I want to get a ton (well, not a literal ton, a few crates) in and use SOME for brewing cider now. Can the unneeded juice be frozen and used for brewing cider later, or even just for drinking in unfermented form? Does anything untoward happen to it?

I am not planning to brew from wild yeast, so not bothered about that aspect.

Our local mills routinely place their excess production in long term frozen storage for years like this one when production sucks.

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I guess whenever I freeze something it seems to take on a dodgy taste, maybe from the air/water in the freezer. You have to keep things really airtight, but that's tricky if you are going to leave that cup short...

It's still air tight, no odor from other items will contaminate it as long as the lid is on tight. You can also squeeze out the air as well

Not only is it a viable method of preservation, you can use the different freezing points of water and <whatever else is in cider> to concentrate the cider and boost the alcohol. I think this is called cryoextraction, and it's used to make ice wine and ice cider.

I did find a site earlier that had rather detailed instructions on how to make it, but can't find it right now.

Back