Water quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it tastes good, then yes. You'll want to run it through charcoal filter to remove the chlorine first. Are you doing all grain or extract?

Some city water supplies use Chloramine instead of chlorine. Chlorine evaporates by simply leaving it sit in open air.
With chloramines, like my buddy in St. Pete has, we draw the water the night before, add Campden tablets. This converts the chloramine to chlorine, so it then evaporates.

I am using liquid malt extract and there are some grans to steep. Brew day is tomorrow. First time

It depends on what type of beer you want to brew. I live in San Diego and use the water from the faucet (that being said, I have a whole house filtration system) and for LA, I would recommend using a brita filter and not getting the water straight from the tap unless you want to brew an IPA, in which case a little contamination in exchange for the heavier water found in SoCal is a benefit.

I used to live in Simi Valley, and the water there was fine for brewing extract brews (with steeping grains), but it wouldn't be so good for all grain because of the alkalinity.

-a.

Back