2 bines have half white leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
This normal? I have 5 bines of cascade and 2 are half white with some funky shaped leaves.

ForumRunner_20120511_203715.jpg

ForumRunner_20120511_203724.jpg

This normal? Should i cut those two back first? First year btw.

That's chlorosis probably caused by an iron deficiency. I would fertilize now. Something with trace nutrients.

I would say some type of nutrient deficiency also, but they're growing in the same pot with the same soil. Why is one healthy looking and the other not? I've had some stray shoots look like that growing right next to very healthy ones coming off of the same crown. Don't know what it is. Possibly a virus . . . ? I'd just let them grow and see what happens. Just me though.

B-Hoppy said:
I would say some type of nutrient deficiency also, but they're growing in the same pot with the same soil. Why is one healthy looking and the other not? I've had some stray shoots look like that growing right next to very healthy ones coming off of the same crown. Don't know what it is. Possibly a virus . . . ? I'd just let them grow and see what happens. Just me though.

Good point tho it isn't completely unheard of for a different part of a plant to exhibit symptoms faster than another. The shoot in question looks newer than the larger ones next to it which could cause it to be faster to show a problem. Could be viral but if that's the case the whole rhizome would be infected. Keep us updated!

Edit: If you look at the new growth on the healthier bines they look to be turning yellow on the margins and surrounding the veins. http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/hops.htm ...look at that link. Magnesium deficiency looks pretty similar. I had a chlorosis problem linked to Mg last year as well.

thanks for the updates!
The soil medium is an organic potting soil that we've been using for awhile now to grow veggies and flower beds and such, haven't had one titch of issues with the company (local to portland) and the northern brewer hops have the same soil and are growing lovely.

However, now that it's been a bit, the bottom leaves on the white bines are looking fine and the rest of them have greened out except for the top portion of those 2 bines. i wonder if it was just a weaker part of the plant that had came up and is now getting way more sun and nutrients?

if you look at the white bine and all the way toward the dirt you can see how green the leaves are and now that they're larger they're looking fine and well... larger lol. so i'll keep an eye on it and keep you guys posted.

2012-05-15_23-16-40_143.jpg

heres how they are looking now. i still want to fert. though.
Does anyone know what to add to make them go back to normal?

Back