Step-by-step: Using amylase to convert flaked corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of trying to do a GF hoppy cream ale for some friends, one of whom is off the gluten. I haven't been perfectly happy with any of the recipes I've found so far, but that's okay, for the most part I have been pretty successful crafting my own recipes using Beersmith and consulting other recipes as a general guide, despite being an abject n00b.

I think I would like to use some flaked corn, to stay more true to the original style. My understanding is that I can mash it by itself, much in the same way that I might do a partial mash recipe, by using amylase. I've found many people talking about doing this, but I have been unable to find specifics. (Pardon me if I wasn't diligent enough in the search; I really did make a good faith effort to find the answer myself, but unfortunately most of the hits are about using amylase in the fermenter to improve attenuation)

For example, how much amylase, how much water per pound of flaked corn, at what temperature, and for how long? Also, I saw one person mention that they needed to lower the pH of their mash water as well...?

So can someone walk me through this step-by-step? My guess would be: 1 gallon water for every 2-3 lbs of flaked corn, at a temp of ~150F, for about 90 minutes, then drain and sparge. No idea how much amylase, or how/if/how much I should lower the pH though...

Any help?

Ah hah! I had previously found this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/amylase-enzyme-gluten-free-brewing-87786/
But apparently didn't read it closely enough. It seems to have the answers to all the questions I have, although they are scattered throughout the thread. I will try to summarize here, to test my understanding:

Use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. The pH of the water should be around 5.4. The mash temp should be around 156F, and it should convert within about 30-60 minutes.

Is this about right?

Ah hah! I had previously found this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/amylase-enzyme-gluten-free-brewing-87786/
But apparently didn't read it closely enough. It seems to have the answers to all the questions I have, although they are scattered throughout the thread. I will try to summarize here, to test my understanding:

Use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. The pH of the water should be around 5.4. The mash temp should be around 156F, and it should convert within about 30-60 minutes.

Is this about right?

Go at least 60min and use at least 1.25qt/lb. Other than that, good to go.

i'm working on some similar brews, how much amylase should you use per pound or corn? the amount of sugar in my wort makes me thing i'm not getting enough conversion

one thing that has helped me a ton is having an iodine tincture - you can get it at your grocery store, by the band-aides and stuff, for about a buck. Papazian talks about it in johb... but it just involves putting a drop of iodine in a tiny sample removed from your mash - if it turns black or dark purple keep mashing, till it doesn't change colors. I've had mashes go 30 minutes past the recommended time before fully converting, saved me from boiling a bunch of starch. Perhaps you're already doing this, but it seemed like a good place to mention it... (don't return the sample to the mash after the test - discard it!)

if you already use iodophor as your sanitizer, you can use a drop of that and save yourself the $1.

jman said:
if you already use iodophor as your sanitizer, you can use a drop of that and save yourself the $1.

Is the ppm of iodine in iodophor really enough to be effective? Not being incredulous, just curious.

so a thought occurs, the corn i am using is blue corn, and the mash comes out a brilliant royal purple, might be hard to pick up the iodine in that

I just did a mash w/ quinoa malt, buckwheat (toasted and roasted), amaranth (roasted), millet, and rolled oats. I brought the PH down using Gypsum, did a protein rest, and then brought it all to 156. I added Amylase Formula at the beginning - it is NOT converting :mad: I've boosted the temp (to 158F) and I'm going to let it sit while I sleep. We'll see in the morning. So far I'm disappointed in Amylase Formula...

Back