First "No Sparge"...why haven't I done this before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I was feeling extra lazy today, so I did a "no sparge" instead of my typical batch sparge. I've been leary of trying this because my mash tun is only 36 quarts. I had 11 lbs of grain and I filled the cooler to the brim with about 7.5 gallons of water. I collected about 6.25 gallons in one runnings and got an efficiency of 68%. My usual batch sparge efficiency is 75%, so this wasn't too bad. My 5.25 gallon batch was about 1.052 OG...which is about the max for my little mash tun...but 70% of the beers I brew have an OG around this level. Might have to do this more often.

I have also started doing this. I especially like it for low gravity beers where I have had issues with tannin extraction. An added bonus is the amount of time it trims off the brew day.

This is a tactic that some breweries use because the first runnings of the mash are of the highest gravity. What you leave behind is small amounts of extract that are stuck between the grains.

Newton said:
I was feeling extra lazy today, so I did a "no sparge" instead of my typical batch sparge. I've been leary of trying this because my mash tun is only 36 quarts. I had 11 lbs of grain and I filled the cooler to the brim with about 7.5 gallons of water. I collected about 6.25 gallons in one runnings and got an efficiency of 68%. My usual batch sparge efficiency is 75%, so this wasn't too bad. My 5.25 gallon batch was about 1.052 OG...which is about the max for my little mash tun...but 70% of the beers I brew have an OG around this level. Might have to do this more often.

Now take your lazy to the next level.

Ditch the mash tun and drop your grains into a large bag and mash in your boil pot.

With beers lower than 1.055 I get about 85% efficiency and just have to rinse out the bag.

I was hesitant to try the no sparge method. If you are getting only a small drop in efficiency, I might have to give it a whirl. I wonder how big the drop would be if you're doing 10 or 12 gallon batches.

Now take your lazy to the next level.

Ditch the mash tun and drop your grains into a large bag and mash in your boil pot.

With beers lower than 1.055 I get about 85% efficiency and just have to rinse out the bag.

This. About as easy as it gets. In 10 years I predict that 90% of homebrewers will be doing BIAB.

I get 75% extraction efficiency with 2 batch sparges with BIAB.

I am doing my first no sparge for my next batch. I had been assuming about 50% efficiency based on refractometer measurements from prior batches.

How are you guys getting 85% efficiency with no sparge?

I get 62% eff with a 15 gallon blichmann with false bottom doing no sparge. I love this method for session beers and have been just manually recirculating until the end of the mash.

62% average here too. Keggle mash tun with a false bottom and bottom drain. Oh, and a RIMS. I've had one batch at 67%. I've never brewed any other way.

You could also try a half-assed sparge. Mash with your full volume - (minus) a gallon and a half or two, and sparge with that. You can even do it with your room temp water. A lot of people pull an extra few % efficiency out of that.

Man, I feel inadequate. No sparge, I'm around %58 - %60. (consistently)

You could also try a half-assed sparge. Mash with your full volume - a gallon and a half or two, and sparge with that. You can even do it with your room temp water. A lot of people pull an extra few % efficiency out of that.

This is curious.

At first I wasnt exactly sure what you were talking about then I read your last two sentences.

In the summer when I clean my MT I toss some hose water into and let it sit awhile. Then I released the liquid into the grass. But after a few batches I noticed it was nice and dark, so I knew there were sugars in there.

I did the math a batch or two later with both pre and post boil OGs and noticed like 12 extra GUs. I wish I had written it all down as its quite possible that my math might be faulty.

Long story short, at least I know its not just me :p

Are you guys calculating your efficiency based on both volume and refractometer (or hydrometer) measurements immediately after draining the bag? Or are you calculating it based on your volume and OG at pitching?

The latter is inaccurate for extraction. Just wondering because I routinely check gravity and volume after the first drain and after each sparge and up until now my extraction efficiency after the mash was about 50% on several batches.

As I mentioned earlier, I get about 75% extraction efficiency with BIAB after 2 batch sparges. A while back I was getting over 90% so I may have some issues with my techniques if others are getting over 60%. Maybe my pH?

62% is brewhouse efficiency for me. Mash efficiency is probably a bit higher I don't calculate that.

Back