Using expired yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
I've got a tube of liquid yeast that I bought a few months ago (ok more than a few months ago) and I never got around to brewing the batch that I bought it for. It expired in April. Is it still usable? Does it just go inactive if you don't use it or does it die? It's been refrigerated the entire time.

Make a starter and see what happens. Chances are there are still a decent amount of live yeast in the tube. Some of the brewers in this thread have sucessfully revived yeast older than yours.

Starter.
Starter!
Starter!
Starter!
Starter!
Starter!

Say it with me folks, "STARTER!"

It should work, but plan on a few extra days for it get get going.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I have some more equipment to go buy :cross:

It doesn't take much for a starter. The flasks and stirplates are nice, but not absolutely necessary for a normal beer. All you need is a decent size bottle (A half gallon growler works well), stopper to fit, spare airlock and some DME.

the_bird said:
Starter.
Starter!
Starter!
Starter!
Starter!
Starter!

Say it with me folks, "STARTER!"

It should work, but plan on a few extra days for it get get going.

Shouldn't the forum just auto-reply to liquid yeast posts with this??

:fro:

What is DME? Is it something that I have to get at a home brew store or online or can I get a suitable replacement at the grocery store?

artyboy said:
What is DME? Is it something that I have to get at a home brew store or online or can I get a suitable replacement at the grocery store?

DME = Dried Malt Extract. You have to get it at a homebrew store or online.

I have a container of the syrup. Is that something that I could get away with using or does it have to be dried? How much syrup would I need for a starter?

artyboy said:
I have a container of the syrup. Is that something that I could get away with using or does it have to be dried? How much syrup would I need for a starter?

yes, you can use LME (aprox 10% more than the amount of DME that would would use) and quantity depends on how much of a starter you are looking to make. Check out the how to brew link and these for some more info to help you decide:

http://www.mrmalty.com/
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=6970

artyboy said:
Opinions are like..you know..., but if you are not inclined to go all grain then I highly recommend switching to DME instead of the liquid. It's much better.

My first couple of brews used LME then I found DME. I've been brewing DME ever since.

LMD is usually too dark for some styles and is usually pre-hopped.

If you want to control the color and hop rate better you should switch ASAP! ;)

1/2 C for a starter.

I made the starter on Saturday. It's still flat. Is my yeast dead or is there anything else that I can do? Maybe it's just taking a while? I've been keeping it in a dark room that stays at around 75 degrees. Here's what it looks like after a couple of day s.

62fwks8.jpg

Back