my shot at a Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcostas

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm going to give this whole "making up a recipe thing" a whirl.
I found a beer calcultor online, I'm sure some of you are familiar with it, called "hopville."

At any rate, this is a Dunkelweisen i came up with.

Do you guys have any feedback? IE what I should modify/omit/add?

Thanks a lot!

Happy Brewing

Is this yours? I would look around. I made one that had nothing of this in it. I started out looking at Homebrewer suppliers recipes to get an idea of what makes up a dunkle.Just a suggestion.

4 lbs of cara/crystal malt is way too much. A dunkel could have some dark crystal, but you’d also want a bit of Carafa Special to darken it up a bit without adding more caramel flavors. For the rest of the malt you could go pale wheat and Munich, or dark wheat and pils (or some other combination thereof). The dark wheat or Munich will add more bready flavors.

Cascade certainly isn’t traditional, but as just a bittering addition it won’t be a big deal (you are on the high side for bitterness though). Same goes for the orange peel, not a traditional addition, but fine if that’s what you want.

Hope that helps, good luck brewing.

Here's what I changed-

1. Way to much Caramel Wheat Malt, personally I wouldnt use any.

2. Id also drop the Crystal 20L (unless you are looking for that caramel, sweet taste), which Id do .5lbs.

3. Stick with a Noble Hop or neutral hop and get it around 12-16 IBU's

4. I really dont like dry yeast in this type of beer, yeast make weizen beers, Id stick with WLP300 or Wyeast Wiehenstephaner yeast.

5. For the Grain bill Id use 60% wheat, 39% Pils, 1% Carafa III for a tradional style, or replace the Pils for Munich II for a more malty taste, or do both maybe even some vienna if you want.

Just my opinion.

Back