question about fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortician44

Reaction score
I am making a milk stout and ive had it fermenting for over 24 hours and i still havent seen any co2 bubbles coming out of the stopper. so what should i do and how much longer should i wait to test the beer again with the hydrometer. i am new at this so any feed back will help me greatly thanks.

I am making a milk stout and ive had it fermenting for over 24 hours and i still havent seen any co2 bubbles coming out of the stopper. so what should i do and how much longer should i wait to test the beer again with the hydrometer. i am new at this so any feed back will help me greatly thanks.

I'm still a rookie myself, but everything I've read states that it could take up to 72 hours before showing any signs of fermentation. Here is a link to a thread on the topic. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

How much yeast did you pitch? Did you add oxygen? What temp are you fermenting at? What was the OG of the beer?

Yeah, it sometimes takes a couple days to get active fermentation going. Or, you could just not have a tight seal going on.

...waiting for Revvy's "airlock" post...

Machineshopbrewing
I pitched a sachet of yeast, yes I added oxygen right after I pitched the yeast. I am fermenting at 62 degrees and the OG was 1.056

Yea last night when I got home from work I saw a bunch of co2 bubbles so now I can feel better it took two and a half days. By now I'm more relaxed. Thanks again

Machineshopbrewing
I pitched a sachet of yeast, yes I added oxygen right after I pitched the yeast. I am fermenting at 62 degrees and the OG was 1.056

Sounds good so far. Did you rehydrate the dry(I'm guessing dry) yeast or just sprinkle on? What process did you use to add oxygen? Is your 62 degrees controlled or ambient?

Everything you have described so far sounds about normal really. Check the gravity in another couple days to see where you are.

I just sprinkled the yeast into the beer and I oxygenated it by shaking it up for a while. And the 62 degree is controlled pretty well. Is it ok to test the beer even though it's been a few days. Because they say opening it can affect the fermentation. But if the gravity is changing just let it keep fermenting for a few weeks then or until the gravity is right where It needs to b. And another thing is there a better way to oxygenate the yeast. Thanks for all the help machineshop brew and everyone else. I'm full of questions being new at this but really appreciate it

Ok,

First thing is if you are using dry yeast, you should really rehydrate it correctly according to the yeast manufacturers instructions. A lot of people will just sprinkle it on but the yeast is unable to regulate what passes through its cell wall for the split second or so after it hits the wort when dry and you can lose a lot of the yeast that way. That being said, if you pitch a big pack into an average gravity wort, you still would have enough yeast to do the job most times. There are a lot of differing opinions on this topic so I would try several batches both ways and use what works for you in your brewery.

Don't sweat opening it up and observing and trying it. At this stage you should be more concerned about understanding what is going on and using your observations so that you build a frame of reference for future brewing. You won't be hurting the beer by opening it up and drawing off a sample. Just make sure to sanitize everything that comes in contact with the beer in the fermentor, and try to minimize exposure time for the open lid.

It doesn't take a few weeks for the gravity to get to the FG. You should be at FG usually within 3-5 days if you pitched the correct amount of yeast, added oxygen and had temp control. At 62 things will be a little slower than 67-68 but you should still be close. Then let it set for a few more days to a week longer to let the yeast clean up any extra by-products and drop clear. Use your hydrometer and taste to guide you from that point. The key is to build up a frame of reference of what a beer should taste like at any given point to be able to understand when is the right time to do the next step.

There are a lot of different ways to add oxygen. I use pure O2 with a stone, some shake, some use aquarium pumps. Check all of them out and decide what works best for you in your brewery with your budget.

Back