Flip Top Wax Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has posted this but think it would be a cool concept. Just got a hold of a clear 750ml flip top bottle, so I spray painted it black put my logo on there and was planning on dipping the top in gold wax, intending to keep the wax on after the top is popped the first time. What do you guys think? Maybe for like a vintage collection of bottles to save for special occasions.

Sounds cool...... A picture of what it looks like now would be super awesome.

You could get a nice Maker's Mark look going with the dripping wax effect down the neck of the bottle.

That sounds pretty cool I think! I have a bunch of flip-top bottles and the gaskets are so expensive here that it's quite cost-prohibitive to use them for batch after batch of casual drinking beer. I'd rather brew something really special and bottle it in flip-tops sealed with wax!

Are the gaskets really expensive there? I guess they would be if you don't have a LHBS or if you have to pay a crap load in taxes to have them shipped there. However, I really don't think they would be air or water tight with just wax on them. I think you would need at least a partially functioning gasket to make it work.

I want to wax it for the look not the seal... And also I do have a local homebrew shop.

Are the gaskets really expensive there? I guess they would be if you don't have a LHBS or if you have to pay a crap load in taxes to have them shipped there. However, I really don't think they would be air or water tight with just wax on them. I think you would need at least a partially functioning gasket to make it work.

Yes they are pricey. They're $28.25 after taxes(Cdn funds) for 100 gaskets and this is from the LHBS.....they seem to be the same price at most of the LHBS here in the maritimes, not sure about the rest of canada.

Yes they are pricey. They're $28.25 after taxes(Cdn funds) for 100 gaskets and this is from the LHBS.....they seem to be the same price at most of the LHBS here in the maritimes, not sure about the rest of canada.

You can reuse the gaskets. They aren't like bottle caps where it's a once and done deal. They are good until the rubber starts cracking. I've got some bottles I've used since my first batch with original seals. 20+ batches and still seal perfectly.

I've heard that fliptops aren't as good at keeping out o2 as bottle caps, so aging in them is a bad idea, but then wax also keeps the air out, so... it might work? Bottle something you wouldn't mind some mild oxidation in and get back to us :)

Back