Capping bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barracudamagoo

Reaction score
I read a post a while back and now I can't find it; however, I wanted to ask about capping bottles. Can I cap wine bottles with beer caps? A few posts mentioned champagne and sparkling cider bottles; but, I couldn't find any about regular wine bottles. At the moment, I don't know enough about the different cappers/corkers so I'm not sure what to buy. What I do have is some apfelwein that needs to be bottled soon and would like to cap the standard 750mL wine bottles if possible. Thanks!

No, there's no lip on wine bottles for the crown cap to wrap around and make a tight seal. It may bend downward but since the there's no lip they won't stay on under pressure.

Thanks! So bottles that have no lip cannot be capped; however, would I be correct in presuming a bottle that does have a lip could be capped? Not that any of mine do, I'm just curious. Also, I love the hat!

Thats no neccisarily true. You will not always be able to get a good seal. Also many bottles, like wine bottles, are not meant to take the pressure of carbination.

There are several types of non-standard bottles that can be capped. Really it boils down to a couple factors.

1) Will the standard caps fit?
2) Will your capper work on the bottle? Wing cappers need certain neck diameters, height, etc... in order to get a grip.
3) Wine bottles can be corked. There are some varieties of press in corks, and there are traditional ones that require a corker.

If you look at these, 1 & 3 may work (or the lip may shatter from the capper)...but like Mcbrew said they won't hold up to the pressure of carbonation...

But I've never come upon those kind of lips on any of the wine bottles I have...Most of the ones I have are like variation of 2 and 4...

Wine-Bottle-Beads-S2.jpg

Don't ask me wtf the pic is from though, I just gooled it. :D

No, just use pop top beer bottles. The wine bottle will explode if you put beer in it. Unless you like flat beer.

I may do a few beer bottles to hand out as samplers, but I'm mainly looking to use larger bottles. We like our wine, and will go through it if it's popped open. Heck, if I could cap the carboy we'd be set!

Latest posts

Back