anyone with coast guard or reserves experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
Strange topic, but I would love some info "straight from the horse's mouth" as some would say, about serving in the coast guard.

Did you/do you enjoy it?

Whats the atmosphere like? among enlistees and officers? On base? on cutters at sea?

Was it worth any of the stuff you had to give up; being away from family/children, lack of freedom?

How long were you in it and why did you leave?

Lastly, did anyone support a wife/family during the time they were in or were they like bachelors at sea/base?

Enlisted June 3, 1979. Out June 4 1983. Spent 4 years on cutters, made E-5 in three years and loved doing what we did. THe whole 'military' thing I wasn't too crazy about but it was a very different world back then.

I say go for it, it will certainly give you a new perspective on the world

Just so you know, you have to do 20 years to get retirement benefits. So if you're doing anything less you're just signing yourself up to a low paying job for a minimum of 4 years, so you better make sure you're gonna enjoy doing it. It might be a good idea to check out the Coast Guard Auxiliary first to make sure you'll like it.

Also, make sure you make it under their weight requirements

Just so you know, you have to do 20 years to get retirement benefits. So if you're doing anything less you're just signing yourself up to a low paying job for a minimum of 4 years, so you better make sure you're gonna enjoy doing it. It might be a good idea to check out the Coast Guard Auxiliary first to make sure you'll like it.

I wouldnt say its a low paying job. I just got out of the navy as an E-5 and my base pay combined with BAH and sea pay was pretty good. Granted, I was single though.I lived in upper middle class apartments in VA Beach and lived like a king. If you are like out of a job and working at mcdonalds or retail, I would join. Even if you get out, you wont regret it.

I wanted to enlist in the Coast Guard after my first enlistment in the Army was up but the recruiter wanted me to go back to E-4 and of course complete their basic training. I had no problem with the basic training but I recently made E-5 and was still young, dumb, and full of..... well you know the rest of the story. Anyways I didn't do it which I now regret!

It looks like at my 71 inches, the range is like 209-229 pounds. Not suprising. The marine corps allows 227 pounds at 72 inches. I have some weight to lose, and have already started on that. I've dropped in weight significantly before through exercise and nutrition so its very do-able. I've already cut back on homebrew intake, only a few bottles a week tops.

I'm not sure I want to make a career out of it, but you never know. Lots of people become lifelong military guys even though they never planned. I just turned 26 so I only have a year left for them to accept me. I want to give it a try, and I like the fact its not combat-oriented and wouldn't have me carrying an m16 in a desert somewhere (not that theres anything wrong with that). Its ultimately keeping our waters safe, guarding the coasts, rescuing people, and whatnot. I can get down with that. Pretty noble and all. I've always lived on the east coast, and can do the reserves later if I decide to leave.

More than anything, I'm bothered that I've never really challenged myself like I want to. Didn't go to college. I've been working full time ever since high school, got married and had a kid, bought a house. I've survived, but I've felt pretty frustrated in most of the jobs I've been in.
My marriage is pretty shipwrecked at this point though(I think), and I need to think about myself from this point, while still providing for my son, which would be hard to do while trying to support myself at the same ol' stuff I've been doing the last few years, and feeling trapped. I mean, I'm looking at having to either rent rooms out in my house after she leaves to maintain things on my own, or move back to FL and crash in a friend's house to not be ridiculously broke.

Oh, and I should mention I had a pretty good SAT score in high school so would very likely score well on the ASVAB. I would have had a free ride to college if my GPA was better, but I goofed off a lot.

I say go for it. The worst case is you spend 4 years doing something that you don't fully enjoy and get out. Best case, you find a career you love and you stick around until they kick you out.

I would do it dude. But dont forget, you might be carrying an M16 around all day in below freezing ice storms too.

Really? I mean I'm not some pacifist whose against it, I just shudder at some of the stories of some guys who have been to Irag; marching around in full gear and shooting at stuff, watching out for roadside bombs, checking their shoes for scorpions and looking out for killer spiders in the latrine. And those guys wanted to go back! (for re-enlistment $$ though)

and dont forget, the coastguard deploys aswell, not as much as the navy or as long (I believe) but they do deploy.

Yeah I knew they go places, and knew I would have to expect being on a boat for months at a time whether its along our own coast or somebody else's. I have no delusions about just hanging out at a base in the states year round. I would love for someone to PM me if they feel generous enough to fill me in on what its like living on one of their boats.

How easy is it to use your vacation time they give you to travel to see family/friends, etc? You get any kind of reduced airfare to fly, or have the freedom to just hop in a car and leave base when its your vacation time?

If the ex stayes here in central NC, it would only be a few/several hour drive from almost anywhere on the NC/SC/GA coast, and I could still come and see my son. 4 years is a chunk of time in a kids childhood so I need an idea of my ability to see him during that time.

We are talking at the moment about the idea of her staying in my house and quasi-renting it from me while I pay the mortgage. So when I get out (if I leave after 4 years) I still have a house and some equity. With the (modest)money I make while in there I can become debt-free, help support my son, and save since I'll have little to no expenses right?

ok. . . here goes nothing. I just got out of the navy after 4.5 years (I'll spare the puddle pirate jokes ;) )

since you said you have no college background (and I's assuming no college credits either) you will most likely go in as an E1. they might have some stuff you can do in a delayed entry program to make E2 before you go in. there might also be promotions for outstanding recruits in boot camp. (I personally joined as an E1, spent time in delayed entry program and made E2 and was promoted to E3 right out of boot camp) but really the pay difference from E1 to E3 really isn't that much and the base pay for those grades is pathetic. you, however, having a child, will be able to draw dependent BAH right away so this WILL supplement your paycheck. but you said your marriage is running aground. . . so if you get divorced a large portion of that check will be taken from you automatically and go directly to her(since she will most likely have custody). since you have a dependent and are receiving BAH you will not be able to get a barracks room on base (those are reserved for single sailors not receiving housing allowance. so unless you can afford an apartment (with or without roommates) on an E3 w/ dependent BAH (where a good portion is taken away form you) you will have to live on the ship you are stationed on. depending on the size of the ship you are station on you will be sharing a berthing with anywhere around 10-50 people.(only officers get state rooms) these racks are tiny and you have very VERY limited space (a lot of your bigger possessions you will have to either sell or put in storage). on the plus side to living on the ship, it' almost impossible to be late for work in the morning. getting on to any military base and finding a decent parking space in the morning is a nightmare! plus you get 3 meals a day every day for free (the quality of these meals is arguable)

ok, onto military life. . . while you are in port it is just like any other 8-5 job. you show up in the morning, you do whatever work you have to do, and you leave in the afternoon. you don't have to spend any of your free time on the ship or even on the base for that matter. you will, however, have to stand duty days. depending on the rotation it could be anywhere from port and starboard (every other day if your CO is a dick) or once a week or so. on these days you cannot leave the ship for the full 24 hours.(weekends, holidays, your kids birthday, it doesn't matter) and you will stand watch. be it a quarterdeck watch, a roving watch, an engineering watch. . .

underway: ask yourself very seriously if you get sea sick.no? have you ever been in 25 foot seas? no. I was one of the lucky one who never got sea sick but I saw a lot of people who looked like death warmed over any time the boat took a little rock.(I personally loved the feeling. it was like getting rocked to sleep every night) when you are underway you also work a lot more than in port and also stand at least one watch a day. I had some awesome times and saw some great stuff being underway. you will never see the stars more clearly then in the middle of the ocean on a cloudless night. and you will never have more fun being a shellback initiating wogs when you cross the equator.

you will also get to go to some awesome places that you would have never dreamed of being able to go to. the travel truly is the best part of the job. but the travel can also last a long time. a standard deployment (in the navy at least) is 6 months and you can always get extended. I did nearly 8 months on my last deployment. that's 8 months without getting see my girlfriend or any of my family.

keep in mind also that there is a difference between underway and deployment. deployment is 6+ months somewhere and underway could be anywhere from 1 to 2 days to one to 2 weeks just off the coast doing training. you go underway a lot. if you added up all the days I spend underway for a year that I didn't go on deployment it would easily add up to half the year or more.

leave(vacation): so long as you have the days and it does not interfere with the ships schedule it should usually be no problem to take leave. of course there are some situations where they will deny you (too many people on leave already, preparing for some major inspection, etc) also it's no big deal to take off in your car on a friday for a weekend trip to where ever you want so long as you make it back to work on time come monday.

ummm . . . if there are any more questions go ahead and ask. I'll be more than happy to answer them.
: DISCLAIMER : my time was spent in the navy so obviously this is not EXACTLY how the coasties do things but I know it is very similar.

ok just one joke! why does the coast guard have a minimum height requirement of 6 feet? that way if the ship sinks you can just walk to shore!

All very good info. You should PM Coastarine. He was in the Marines (ooh rah!!) and then joined the Coast Guard. I think if anyone could help you out, he could. Not as an afterthought, but thank you to all our servicemen and women for what you do.

as an active offshore fisherman, if you choose to enlist with CG or reserves, you deserve a big thank you! I have heard and seen many things on the water that would really scare any sane person... relying on someone else to save a life is a big responsibility. Just want to say thank you to all the CG's and reserves out there.....

Also keep in mind that you will be working SAR and Counter drug ops quite a bit as well. You *may* be deployed to the gulf to also help enforce and conduct MIO with the Navies of the world. I did 8 years and 2 months (to the day) in the USN. We saw coasties on occasion when we did joint exercises. (****ers snitched us out to an 'enemy' ship during one of our exercises) Then again USCG was also the first to respond to my ships collision.

ALSO - Remember, dont be surprised if you are tasked to carry a weapon. You are no longer DoT and even though we are at war you are NOT DoD - You are Dept of Homeland Security. You are a bit of a longer arm of the local law, but not quite the 'world police' that our navies serve as.
-Me

also, something I forgot to add. make sure that whatever job you choose that it easily translates to a civilian job. (that way if you get out you can take advantage of all the schools they send you to) I learned that the hard way. . . not many land based job opportunities for someone in ship navigation. . .

ok. . . here goes nothing. I just got out of the navy after 4.5 years (I'll spare the puddle pirate jokes ;) )

since you said you have no college background (and I's assuming no college credits either) you will most likely go in as an E1. they might have some stuff you can do in a delayed entry program to make E2 before you go in. there might also be promotions for outstanding recruits in boot camp. (I personally joined as an E1, spent time in delayed entry program and made E2 and was promoted to E3 right out of boot camp) but really the pay difference from E1 to E3 really isn't that much and the base pay for those grades is pathetic. you, however, having a child, will be able to draw dependent BAH right away so this WILL supplement your paycheck. but you said your marriage is running aground. . . so if you get divorced a large portion of that check will be taken from you automatically and go directly to her(since she will most likely have custody). since you have a dependent and are receiving BAH you will not be able to get a barracks room on base (those are reserved for single sailors not receiving housing allowance. so unless you can afford an apartment (with or without roommates) on an E3 w/ dependent BAH (where a good portion is taken away form you) you will have to live on the ship you are stationed on. depending on the size of the ship you are station on you will be sharing a berthing with anywhere around 10-50 people.(only officers get state rooms) these racks are tiny and you have very VERY limited space (a lot of your bigger possessions you will have to either sell or put in storage). on the plus side to living on the ship, it' almost impossible to be late for work in the morning. getting on to any military base and finding a decent parking space in the morning is a nightmare! plus you get 3 meals a day every day for free (the quality of these meals is arguable)

ok, onto military life. . . while you are in port it is just like any other 8-5 job. you show up in the morning, you do whatever work you have to do, and you leave in the afternoon. you don't have to spend any of your free time on the ship or even on the base for that matter. you will, however, have to stand duty days. depending on the rotation it could be anywhere from port and starboard (every other day if your CO is a dick) or once a week or so. on these days you cannot leave the ship for the full 24 hours.(weekends, holidays, your kids birthday, it doesn't matter) and you will stand watch. be it a quarterdeck watch, a roving watch, an engineering watch. . .

underway: ask yourself very seriously if you get sea sick.no? have you ever been in 25 foot seas? no. I was one of the lucky one who never got sea sick but I saw a lot of people who looked like death warmed over any time the boat took a little rock.(I personally loved the feeling. it was like getting rocked to sleep every night) when you are underway you also work a lot more than in port and also stand at least one watch a day. I had some awesome times and saw some great stuff being underway. you will never see the stars more clearly then in the middle of the ocean on a cloudless night. and you will never have more fun being a shellback initiating wogs when you cross the equator.

you will also get to go to some awesome places that you would have never dreamed of being able to go to. the travel truly is the best part of the job. but the travel can also last a long time. a standard deployment (in the navy at least) is 6 months and you can always get extended. I did nearly 8 months on my last deployment. that's 8 months without getting see my girlfriend or any of my family.

keep in mind also that there is a difference between underway and deployment. deployment is 6+ months somewhere and underway could be anywhere from 1 to 2 days to one to 2 weeks just off the coast doing training. you go underway a lot. if you added up all the days I spend underway for a year that I didn't go on deployment it would easily add up to half the year or more.

leave(vacation): so long as you have the days and it does not interfere with the ships schedule it should usually be no problem to take leave. of course there are some situations where they will deny you (too many people on leave already, preparing for some major inspection, etc) also it's no big deal to take off in your car on a friday for a weekend trip to where ever you want so long as you make it back to work on time come monday.

ummm . . . if there are any more questions go ahead and ask. I'll be more than happy to answer them.
: DISCLAIMER : my time was spent in the navy so obviously this is not EXACTLY how the coasties do things but I know it is very similar.

ok just one joke! why does the coast guard have a minimum height requirement of 6 feet? that way if the ship sinks you can just walk to shore!

Wow, great advice. From EVERYONE.

I've never been a huge boat before so its a bit of guess. I love the water though and what boats I've been on have never bothered me. Never known what seasick feels like.

I had assumed I would start at the bottom at E-1, not a disapointment to me. The pay difference does seem almost neglible the first few promotions. I was just hopiing that as an intelligent 26 yr old I would have more options as far as MOS or whatever than some punk 18 yr old who might not test as well as me.

As far as the marriage thing, I would actually be enlisting while still "seperated" and not actually divorced. NC law requires you to be seperated or a year, and I only a year before I turn 27 and become ineligible. So I'd still be married. Does that make it "better" or "worse" for me?

They wouldnt let me live on base rather than the ship because I had a kid hundreds of miles away that I paid child support for? Seriously? We and the ex are quite civil so I might be able to work out some arrangement where I only pay her voluntarily to help with my son and not court appointed child support. (she has little options and me letting her stay in MY house is a favor to her and for the sake of my son not havingto grow up in a friggin duplex or something)

I looked up the average housing allowances for 2007 and it said E-1's got over 800 bucks and E-1's with dependants got over 1000. I'm sure I could live on that but would just as soon stay on base. I'm tired of cooking, cleaning, looking after my own place. I wouldnt mind living in a small space. Could I just NOT take the BAH and live on base instead of the ship? Sorry if I totally misconstrued what you said.

Sounds like the Enlisted bunks are quite small on the ship. No hope of bring my acoustic guitar I suppose? I at least get some room for some books and stuff right? They let you have laptops so you can stay in contact with the outside world or is that wishful thinking? It seems in this day and age high speed internet is like a necessity of life. As long as I could have some contact like email from time to time though I would be happy. I like to write, sketch/draw, read, and take photos so I guess my hobbies are pretty portable and take us little space, except for the guitar part. Dang I would miss that. Probably have to take up the harmonica or something small haha.

One more question, how long are watches? Like a few hours, or whole 8 hour shift? What people are describing here doesn't sound too bad all things considered though. I was kinda worried I would work 24/7 a lot. And being "underway" sounds fairly cool.... 2-3 days trips.

Wow, great advice. From EVERYONE.

I've never been a huge boat before so its a bit of guess. I love the water though and what boats I've been on have never bothered me. Never known what seasick feels like.
if you have been on a boat before and hever felt the pangs of sea sickness than you are probably OK.

I had assumed I would start at the bottom at E-1, not a disapointment to me. The pay difference does seem almost neglible the first few promotions. I was just hopiing that as an intelligent 26 yr old I would have more options as far as MOS or whatever than some punk 18 yr old who might not test as well as me.

your MOS dependes ENTIRELY on your ASVAB score. you cannot get a 40 on the ASVAB and be a nuke. age truly does not matter in this scope in any way whatsoever. everything, as far so MOS is concerned, has to do with ASVAB score.
As far as the marriage thing, I would actually be enlisting while still "seperated" and not actually divorced. NC law requires you to be seperated or a year, and I only a year before I turn 27 and become ineligible. So I'd still be married. Does that make it "better" or "worse" for me?
this is a weird point as I am not knowledgeable on NC marriage law.. being still married and technically having custody of your child, 100% of your paycheck will go to you and only you. but once you get divorced whatever the court decides your child support/alimony payment(if you have to pay alimony) will be taken out of your check before it gets deposited into your account.
They wouldnt let me live on base rather than the ship because I had a kid hundreds of miles away that I paid child support for? Seriously? We and the ex are quite civil so I might be able to work out some arrangement where I only pay her voluntarily to help with my son and not court appointed child support. (she has little options and me letting her stay in MY house is a favor to her and for the sake of my son not havingto grow up in a friggin duplex or something)

unfortunalty, no they wont. the only thing you can hope for in that situation (while still married) is to qualify as a "geographical bachelor" but once you are divorced you are a bachelor and no longer a "geo batchelor". but if you are divorced and you have a court appointed child support payment it will be taken out of your check every month reguardless of your situation. you do not get the option of paying child support yourself.

I looked up the average housing allowances for 2007 and it said E-1's got over 800 bucks and E-1's with dependants got over 1000. I'm sure I could live on that but would just as soon stay on base. I'm tired of cooking, cleaning, looking after my own place. I wouldnt mind living in a small space. Could I just NOT take the BAH and live on base instead of the ship? Sorry if I totally misconstrued what you said.

as far as I know you can live on the ship and not take BAH but what they will do is give you something else that the name escapes me, the basic premise of it is it's a striped down BAH that goes directly to the EX while you still have to live on the ship

Sounds like the Enlisted bunks are quite small on the ship. No hope of bring my acoustic guitar I suppose? I at least get some room for some books and stuff right? They let you have laptops so you can stay in contact with the outside world or is that wishful thinking? It seems in this day and age high speed internet is like a necessity of life. As long as I could have some contact like email from time to time though I would be happy. I like to write, sketch/draw, read, and take photos so I guess my hobbies are pretty portable and take us little space, except for the guitar part. Dang I would miss that. Probably have to take up the harmonica or something small haha.
you MIGHT have room for an acoustic, depending on your divisions work spaces (there is no way you personally have enough room for one but your division might have a work space/locker that can hold one). I went on a 6 month deployment with an acoustic bass. this is one of those weird things about a sailors life. you have a certain amount of room that you completely prioritize to the things that mean most to you. you for sure have enough room for a lap top.

One more question, how long are watches? Like a few hours, or whole 8 hour shift? What people are describing here doesn't sound too bad all things considered though. I was kinda worried I would work 24/7 a lot. And being "underway" sounds fairly cool.... 2-3 days trips.
[/QUOTE]

watches are completely dependent on your job. in-port watches are usually no longer than 4 or 5 hours. underway watches can be anywhere from 4 hours to 12 hours depending on your rotation and your workspace.

here is a good idea of what you will be sleeping in
http://www.knownick.net/gallery/d/55793-2/IMG_3541.jpg

I wish you lived in San Diego so I could TALK to you about all these little intricacies(honestly, try to find a vet you know in your area and talk to them) about the military than try to type them out. really it is an entire life change. almost every aspect of your life will change. to put everything in a nutshell: as far as pay and your married situation is, talk to a recruiter. they can give you the best and most up to date advice on your situation. as far as how your life will be in the military, recruiter will not tell you how it is. it isn't their job to tell you so and honestly if they gave you the truth no one would join. a recruiter is like a used car salesman. they will tell you the truth for the things you explicitly ask for. anything else is a sales pitch. you really have no idea what military life is so you will not ask the right questions to a recruiter. that's what vets are for.

Dang GregR, I guess in a bunk like that you have to train yourself not to sit up suddenly and bash your head.

Funny thing... I talked to the wife, (I really shouldnt call her the ex for some time to come). Anyway, she might actually be willing to come with me wherever I am stationed. I guess I would take BAH with the supplemental for my dependant son. It would likely be enough to cover rent, utilities and whatnot. Whatever she earned could pay her other expenses like car payment and insurance. Do I get tax exempt food allowance pay if I live off base and don't eat in the mess? Cus dang that would help.

But she misses the water being from FL and all, and I told her no matter where we went it would be on the coast. Plus I'd see my son a lot that way if she came. It would just mean living as roommates and putting off any type of remarriage or the like until she earns a degrees and/or moves on to something/somewhere else, so theres definitely a wierd factor but it could be great for me and my son, as well as her living somewhere possibly cool and not having to scrape by as a single mom like she would if she stayed behind with her crappy wages she has now.

I wish you lived in San Diego so I could TALK to you about all these little intricacies(honestly, try to find a vet you know in your area and talk to them) about the military than try to type them out. really it is an entire life change. almost every aspect of your life will change. to put everything in a nutshell: as far as pay and your married situation is, talk to a recruiter. they can give you the best and most up to date advice on your situation. as far as how your life will be in the military, recruiter will not tell you how it is. it isn't their job to tell you so and honestly if they gave you the truth no one would join. a recruiter is like a used car salesman. they will tell you the truth for the things you explicitly ask for. anything else is a sales pitch. you really have no idea what military life is so you will not ask the right questions to a recruiter. that's what vets are for.

Yeah I figured I shouldn't trust recruiters for much more than point blank questions. Thats why I wanted some unfiltered opinions. Posting here has reaped tons of info, even better and probably more objective than stuff I'm readin online from all different sources. But I see what you're saying, I'm gonna be talking to a recruiter soon. I have loads to thik about, and so many angles to look at this from.

Joemama, what ship were you on? My ship got in a collision as well in the past few years. You werent on the WSC were you?

LOL No. I was on the Arthur W. Radford (DD-968) our collision happened in 2001. (February 4th to be exact - and close to 15 minutes away from being the 5th) :) It sucked major ass, and the 'Green Table' investigation was no fun either. (I was an OS and I was up in CIC at the time - fortunately I wasnt on a watch station. It was a really bizarre situation on how it all went down. I imagine I will put it all in a book someday...

Someday... :)
-Me

man I would hate to be in a ship collision. . . i could just imagine all the crap that would follow.

man I would hate to be in a ship collision. . . i could just imagine all the crap that would follow.

Oh yes, it is a very scary situation. After the initial 'shock' and adrenaline dump, you come to reality again and focus on what you were trained to do. (Damage control etc)

After that, the Green Table investigation... And yes, it actually IS like they portay it on TV. I remember standing there (either as an OSSN or OS3) and they had 3 tables set out. There were 2 video cameras and close to 5 or 6 microphones all set up to record the entire proceeding. I had to stand at attention in front of a full bird Captain (O-6) and answer any and all questions. (Of course they would reword and manipulate the questions to see if your story stayed consistent) There were also 3 other officers present. One was taking notes, the other was part if the investigation, and one was my JAG officer to review my rights (I had none) and to I guess advise me on what and what not to answer. (He mostly briefed me before the inquiry). This is of course after I went through several other 'pre green table' inquiries with NCIS and NTSB (and of course a drug test)

There were other individuals who had to go to CO's Mast and a couple others (CO and XO) that went to an Admirals Mast.
All in all it was a rather ****ty situation...

But a GREAT story for the grandkids! (Ummmm in many many years from now)
-Me

Back