Correct amount of priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
I am bottling my pumpkin ale today, and I believe once I rack it to my bottling bucket I will probably get around 4 gallons.

Does anyone know how to calculate the correct amount of priming sugar? I have tried to look but cant find anything. The package is 5oz so I am assuming that I will need 4oz? :drunk:

Try this:

KotMF: Priming Sugar Calculator

Take the temperature of your beer, pick the style from the drop-down menu and decide how much carbonation you want (if in doubt, pick the middle of the range for the style), note how much beer you have to bottle, and hey presto!

Try this:

KotMF: Priming Sugar Calculator

Take the temperature of your beer, pick the style from the drop-down menu and decide how much carbonation you want (if in doubt, pick the middle of the range for the style), note how much beer you have to bottle, and hey presto!

Great calculator! Let me ask this, not highjack this thread, but if I was making an ESB and wanted a lower carbonation to fit the style, would I really use just 2.5oz of priming sugar as this calculator says? Has anyone else done this?

Great calculator! Let me ask this, not highjack this thread, but if I was making an ESB and wanted a lower carbonation to fit the style, would I really use just 2.5oz of priming sugar as this calculator says? Has anyone else done this?
Yeah, I've primed a five-gallon batch of English bitter with about that amount (I used 67g of sugar, which I think is a little under 2.5oz). It turned out great. It was less carbed than most beers I make, but worked really well - you don't want too much CO2 in those styles of beer.

Back