First homebrew - scorching problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgohean

Reaction score
I bought a kit yesterday and had my first brew day today. I'm trying AHS's American Amber Ale. For the most part, I think everything went pretty smoothly, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

You can see the pictures I took here. Any comments or suggestions?

Also, after it was all said and done, I noticed this scorching on the bottom of the pot - should I be concerned?

burn.jpg

Your picture didn't post, but you shouldn't have any problem except a burnt toast taste at the most in your finished product. This isn't bad sometimes and actually can taste good. Depending. Taste the beer before you through it out, but I will bet you have no problem. That pot may be thin on the bottom and I would suggest next time not going full throttle on the element. I have heard of people getting copper sheet just big enough for the bottom of their pots to aid in anti-scorching, then you wouldn't have to worry about the burner throttle, lol. I am actually thinking of lining the outside bottom of my kettle (keggle) with copper for better heat dispersion.

Edit: sorry forgot to say maybe have a burnt toast taste/smell

I did turn the heat off - but I think I turned it back on too quickly and didn't let all the extract dissolve. I noticed very quickly when I felt it catch on the bottom, removed it from the burner again, and made sure everything was dissolved before I put it back on.

The picture didn't post? I can see it. Here's a link if it still isn't showing up:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/jgohean/SMwydhFoqQI/AAAAAAAABO8/cju6t9xgFAo/s912/DSC_4015.JPG

Back