Belgium Dubbel - Secondary Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QCBREWER

Reaction score
I'm about to start a Belgium Dubbel. Would I need to put this in a secondary or can I go straight to bottling? I'm assuming the secondary will help the clarity but will I lose any flavor?

Thanks

you won't lose any flavor. And for big beers that need to condition for a longer period of time you want to get the beer off the yeast after fermentation is complete so you don't pick up off flavors during conditioning

Belgian ale yeasts take a long time to develop their full characters. I would definitely give it some time in secondary.

Thanks. I'm go with a secondary fermentation. I appreciate the thoughts.

be sure not to transfer this into a secondary until it has completed it's fermentation. i repeat, do not transfer until you have reached your final gravity. i can't stress this enough :mug:

I agree with DeathBrewer.

I brewed a Trippel and it's been in the primary for over three weeks, and I still get intermittent bubbling on the airlock.

I'm not transferring to secondary until that bad boy either completely stops bubbling or my hydro reading tells me it's done.

I transferred my dubbel after fermentation had stopped and let it cold condition for a couple weeks and it's turned out quite well so far (still needs a couple weeks to bottle condition).

If you don't mind, I have been looking for dubble recipies. Could you post yours? I have one that I have not brewed yet only because I have not found enough different ones to create my own. Thanks.

Back