Airlock question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
I can never get both sides of my airlock to the line without one side going into the other. I hope I said that right. There are two sides on my airlock, both with a line where you arent supposed to fill past. Well, I fill it up and get the two sides evened out on the line and when I wake up, one side is almost empty while the other side is doubled.

Is this a problem or just the way it works? The one side that has the liquid is happily bubbling away.

That's just the way it works. If both sides are half full when you put it on - then one side will be completely full once the gas starts to move through it.. Totally normal behavior unless it's overfilled - in which case the top of the lock will have water in it too - which isn't really good...

Thank you for that quick answer. First time using this type of airlock. Normally use the three piece.

I can never get both sides of my airlock to the line without one side going into the other. I hope I said that right. There are two sides on my airlock, both with a line where you arent supposed to fill past. Well, I fill it up and get the two sides evened out on the line and when I wake up, one side is almost empty while the other side is doubled.

Is this a problem or just the way it works? The one side that has the liquid is happily bubbling away.

Ah, the "S" type bubbler. Co2 from the fermenter will push liquid from the 1st chamber to the 2nd. It's OK. It evens out once bubbling slows down, although I've noticed that the level changes during a change of atmospheric pressure.I've decided I like the 3-piece airlock better.
By the way, I just read your post on your Irish Red. When I do it, it's always a hit with friends and family. If you like nice malty flavor(I do), it's a good one. Good brewing!

By the way, I just read your post on your Irish Red. When I do it, it's always a hit with friends and family. If you like nice malty flavor(I do), it's a good one. Good brewing!

Ill tell ya, I tasted the wort as it was cooling down last night and DAMN! That was good stuff. Kinda hoppy, but definitely malty. I cant wait til its actually finished and I can pop a top.

The "S" type airlocks are particularly nice if you cold-crash. That design doesn't allow the contents of the airlock to be sucked into the fermenter like the 3-piece does.

Back