Bra Dropper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a name and a deadline for my Mardi-Gras beer, but i am drawing a blank on an extract recipe. I am thinking light, smooth and higher alcohol that will be ready by Feb 3rd. Something special for Mardi-Gras.
Any ideas?

The recipe forum is handy but. I immediately thought a Belgian saison. Lighter in body and it can be throttled up a bit.

Here's my recipe: You could also spice it a bit with some coriander and, citrus it up a touch with some citra on the back side.

8lbs- Pilsner 2-row
3lbs- Crystal 20
1 oz- Cascade at 60
.5oz- Tradition at 30
White Labs 566 Belgian saison II

I like to do a 90 minute boil on the pilsner 2-row also.

That sounds good. Any way to transfer thread to recipes section?

Just click the
report.gif
in your original post and ask for it to be moved. Easy. A member from the mod squad will move it for you.

Here's another vote for a saison, you can dump in a bunch of candi sugar or honey to boost the ABV without overdoing it and still have a great tasting, lighter beer. Take a look at Wyeast 3711 if your temps are on the lower end.

Brewed my Saison. I have never used a blow off tube, hope i don't need one.
7 lb Briess Pilsen DME
1 lb Bavarian wheat dry
1 lb beet sugar (15 min.)
1 oz hallertau (german) 60 min.
1 oz Saaz 60 min.
1oz Strisselspalt 1 min.
3 tsp orange peel 5 min.
3 grams crushed grains of paradise 5 min.
3711 wyeast
Hope it goes well. Going to try and warm up to 80, if possible

If you can, attach a blow-off. Better than coming home to a missing airlock and beer on your ceiling.

I have my wort in a glass carboy, so I need tubing to fit the smaller diameter opening with the plug in? I will have to read the how-tos on it. I got a little carried away at the LHBS with my ingredients. Beer calculator said 1.081. I did not siphon sample for hydrometer reading. I guess i need a baster i can sanitize.

I usually use a carboy cap, but if you use this type of airlock
3PieceAirlock2.jpg

you can find tubing big enough to fit onto the center stem, then once you're done blowing off, remove the tubing, assemble/fill the airlock, and you're good to go.

Go for a Belgian Double or 2xIPA, either would be "a nice pair"... Biermuncher has a recipe called "Tits Up" IPA I believe.

Ok, so wort started bubbling through airlock. Tubing attached to air lock and now blow-off working into jug. Air-lock is a mess though. I was already low on volume. :mad: this is going to be a potent brew. I might research adding water with sugar at bottling.

UPDATE:
I brewed on November 26th. (wyeast 3711) I have been able to keep the temps between 73-78 F, after initial crazy fermentation the first week. I would like to keep in primary another week or until it is done. Was going to check gravity next week, still fermenting. About 3 bubbles per minute, if that means much. Should i keep temps steady, let drop or heat up? Thinking of bottling next weekend, if ready.

if you're using a glass carboy, you can get a 1-1/4" OD tube (1" ID) that fits directly into the neck. pic: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/my-sunday-led-299633/#post3723673 (scroll down a bit). has the advantage of never getting clogged since it's so big/wide.

UPDATE:
I brewed on November 26th. (wyeast 3711) I have been able to keep the temps between 73-78 F, after initial crazy fermentation the first week. I would like to keep in primary another week or until it is done. Was going to check gravity next week, still fermenting. About 3 bubbles per minute, if that means much. Should i keep temps steady, let drop or heat up? Thinking of bottling next weekend, if ready.
mid-70's is a perfect temp for this yeast, i'd keep it there until it's finished. it keeps going for a while, it's not a fast finisher. i'd plan on 2.5-3 weeks in primary before taking a gravity reading. the warmth will help things finish up faster so don't cool if you're trying to finish up quickly.

p.s. based on my limited exposure (!) to "girls gone wild" videos, shouldn't this beer be called "bra lifter"? :ban:

Back