Amarillo and Centennial Revival Pale NEW RECIPE!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
A&C Revival Pale
Grain Bill
6 LB Extra Light DME
1 lb cyrstal 20
6.4 oz cara pills
Hops
Centennial .5oz 60 min
Amarillo .5oz 15 min
Centennial .5oz 15 min
Amarillo .5oz 5 min
Centennial .5oz 5 min
Amarillo 1oz 1 min
Centennial .5oz 1min
Yeast
US-05
Extras
irish moss 2tsp 15 min

So very sadly my last beer went catastrophically wrong... I'm make this pale as a bit of an easy but tasty revival to my beer spirit. I want to get a really clean dry finish? Does anyone have suggestions for a better yeast or difference in grains?

I've got an amarillo/centennial IPA dry hopping right now. I bittered with columbus. US-05 got me from 1.059 to 1.009. Should be kegging in a few days. Hope it goes well for you, mine smells great. Real excited about it.

I really like us 05 for pales and ipas. Lately I have liked an addition of some munich malt 10 -20%

Just did something very similar. Bittering with centennial and then mix of centennial and Amarillo for flavor aroma. Very nice beer. Mine is more an APA vs IPA. Ibu are at 35 and it is just great. I used light lme crystal 20 and victory malt.

terrenum said:
Forgot... Also used us05 and went from 1.054 to 1.010.

I would cut back on the crystal a bit and add Munich, Vienna or victory for a biscuity malty taste and more complexity unless you only want caramel ...

I would cut back on the crystal a bit and add Munich, Vienna or victory for a biscuity malty taste and more complexity unless you only want caramel ...

I was thinking that my self. Victory sounds really good, how much do you think I should substitute? I have not used it in a lot of batches..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can use Munich or Vienna unless you are mashing. I make a similar beer with Munich and toasted malt (which is close to victory). It's great. I like a pound of victory, but you might want to start with 1/2 pound. I also dryhop it with an ounce of each centennial and Amarillo. It's great if that's your bag.

Ditch the carapils. There's a decent portion of carapils already inherent in DME.

You could use 5% Victory if you want more nutty or 5% Amber malt if you want more toasty. I would probably go with 5% Honey malt here myself.

Also, if you're brewing extract and you want a very dry pale ale, then you should not use 1lb. of crystal 20. If using crystal, I'd use crystal 10 and keep the percentage at 4-5% for the total recipe.

You'll also want to get that FG down around 1.014 or lesser.

Check your Irish Moss addition. I think you may be using twice what is required.

Nice hop combo and schedule. I like Amarillo & Citra even better.

Thanks! I was also wondering about carbonation. I have been directed to use 2/3s cup of corn sugar at bottling. But I haven't lately been happy about the level of carbonation. I leave about 2 to 3 fingers of space in each bottle regardless of the bottle size. Most measurements are done in the amount of oz for higher or lower carbonation but what would you all suggest for a correct addition with out causing over carbonation?

Back