First time poster, long time reader

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley429

Reaction score
Ok, so a few years ago SWMBO got me a beginners eq. kit to start brewing and i brewed a couple 5 gal batches (partial boil kits). After reading this forum i saw the thread stating one of the best things to do to improve your beer is to do a full boil, so i bought a 10 gal brewpot and then life happened and i wasnt able to brew for the last few years.

Fast forward to now and SWMBO saw my Brewing stuff and said i needed to either start brewing again or get rid of it. So naturally i started again :rockin: .
i brewed my first full boil (american wheat) a couple weeks ago and bottled it last week. I however remember/reread about hops utilization being different for a full/partial boil after it was in the fermenter. Is my beer ruined? J/K I'm not worried.

Reading here again i saw some posts about brew target being able to convert the hops amount for the difference in boil size. With that in mind I downloaded it and plugged in the recipe and it states my recipe is unbalanced and Extra Hoppy.

If i increase DME from 2 to 3lbs it becomes balanced. So with this being said , Should i get another lb ?Or just brew as the kit was intended? Opinions?

Ok, so a few years ago SWMBO got me a beginners eq. kit to start brewing and i brewed a couple 5 gal batches (partial boil kits). After reading this forum i saw the thread stating one of the best things to do to improve your beer is to do a full boil, so i bought a 10 gal brewpot and then life happened and i wasnt able to brew for the last few years.

Fast forward to now and SWMBO saw my Brewing stuff and said i needed to either start brewing again or get rid of it. So naturally i started again :rockin: .
i brewed my first full boil (american wheat) a couple weeks ago and bottled it last week. I however remember/reread about hops utilization being different for a full/partial boil after it was in the fermenter. Is my beer ruined? J/K I'm not worried.

Reading here again i saw some posts about brew target being able to convert the hops amount for the difference in boil size. With that in mind I downloaded it and plugged in the recipe and it states my recipe is unbalanced and Extra Hoppy.

If i increase DME from 2 to 3lbs it becomes balanced. So with this being said , Should i get another lb ?Or just brew as the kit was intended? Opinions?

Those software models are flawed- hops utilization doesn't really change that much based on boil size. I wouldn't worry about it much at all. For your next batch, just follow the hopping on the recipe as if it was an AG batch and you'll be fine.

Back