Woops, forgot to add hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moeser

Reaction score
I bought a "Mexican Cerveza" kit from my LHBS, and it included everything I needed. However, during the boil I forgot to add the bittering hops. There were no finishing hops included nor required in the recipe. I had chilled the wort down to 80F before I finally found the still-dry hops bag waiting to be added. Woops! I guess I had too much liquid refreshment and took too many phone calls during the boil.

Assuming that the hops still need to be boiled, I've placed the wort back on the burner to start the boil over again. Is that the best course of action? Did I screw up my brew?

I don't know if it's important to mention, but I intend to lager this batch, and have lager yeast in a swollen smack pack still waiting to be added.

Help?

The instructions included in the kit were generic for all of the kits the LHBS provides. It specifies a 45 minute boil, but upon purchasing the kit, the cashier recommended a 60 minute boil, and wrote it on the hops package. I do intend to reboil for the full 60 minutes. I'm about 12 minutes into it now.

Is it possible to overcook the wort? Should I add extra water? I started with about 3gal of water, and I'm not totally sure how much is in it now.

If you've still got the wort boiling, add your hops and boil for however long your recipe tells you to boil the bittering hops. Probably 60 mins. Add water to keep your volume up, since you've really boiled for longer than 60 minutes and about 10% will evaporate each hour.

If you're not boiling anymore, check how much headspace you have in your fermenter. Go to your LHBS and find the highest alpha acid hops you can and buy an ounce or so. It's optional, but getting some 5.2 buffer will help too. Add the appropriate amount of 5.2 buffer and boil the hops in an amount of water a little less than the headspace volume of your fermenter. Chill the hop tea like wort and add it to the fermenter. It should be good for 10-20 IBU's. Probably enough for a Corona clone (I'm assuming that's what a "mexican cerveza" lager kit is.

This trick helped me add a little punch to an anemic IPA kit and a IIPA where I screwed up hop additions.

Back