Farking Zarquon I think I TOTALLY f'ed up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epimortum

Reaction score
Currently I have in primary 1 6gal Ed Worts Apfelwein and 1 5gal Bourbon Barrel porter from Northern Brewers.

I just now went in to check on my beer to find frost on the carboy containing my Apfelwein. :eek: WTF just happened?

Well it appears as though my probe had fallen out of the freezer, when I had went to check it earlier this week.

And since my roommates have the heat on it sometimes got warmer than the desired 68-70F I had the chosen for my brewing range. The freezer would kick on. And the probe being outside...

Currently it's sitting open trying to get it to warm up a bit.

Anyone have any thoughts, on:
1.) How to proceed from here.
2.) How to prevent this in the future? What is the best place to position the probe? I had it dangling appx 3 inches in from the edge hence the uh oh. WIll tape next time
3.) What are the potential consequences of this woopsy?

NOTES:
Apfelwein
=== in since Dec 10
=== the only one with frost
=== Montrachet

Porter
=== in since Dec 12
=== high kraeusen has already passed.
=== Danstar Windsor Ale

I did not take any gravity readings

Well if the entire carboy contents froze, you could have froze the yeast and burst them. Otherwise the yeast are most likely just dormant and will be woken up as it warms up.

Take some gravity readings and compare them to new gravity readings in a couple of days. If nothing has changed, repitch yeast.

UPDATE:
Apfelwein
1.019 @ ~62F
Porter
1.03 @ ~62F
Anyone have an idea how to deal with adjusting for temperature?

Since my apfelwein has not really gone anywhere from it's 37F reading when this bollucks happend, should I pitch another packet of Montrachet?

You might want to reach in and gently rock each carboy in a circle to get the yeast back up and suspended since the cold would cause them to drop out of suspension and settle in the bottom of the carboy. Other than that, +1 on what others said. If it didn't actually freeze, the yeast only went to sleep and didn't die.

Latest posts

Back