What do you think will happen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aminal

Reaction score
About a week ago, I made an experimental batch of apple cider using dark brown sugar, maple syrup and a sweet wine yeast. I had about 3 cups of apple juice left and just left it sit out. My wife said she was drinking it, but today I got thirsty and decided to drink the last cup or so. Low and behold, it was fizzy and tangy. I grabbed a 1/2 gallon of apple juice, poured out 1 1/4 cup juice, added the fizzy stuff and bunged and airlocked it. I'm not that experienced at making cider and want some input if I should just let it ferment, or will it even ferment, to hard cider?

Input appreciated.

Vic

It depends on the source of the apple cider, whether it was pasteurized/sorbated or not. If it was, then it sounds like you may have gotten some wild yeasts that floated along and took up residence. Wild yeasts are never consistent, and you always run the risk of mold spores (or acetobacter, vinegar-spores) making the same trip and turning your cider into something unholy.

Of course, you could be on to some sort of Belgian Cider thing there in your home!

It is Hansen's Apple Juice from Wal Mart. It is pasteurized no sorbate. It didn't smell moldy and I got an airlock on it. I'll see if it starts to ferment over the next couple of weeks. Belgium Lambic Cider, hmmmm?

Vic

Back