Danger of Hops to Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO - enough people were starting topics about hops poisoning to warrant a factual discussion about it. Deathweed's sticky did just that. It was pointed out hops poisoning is extremely rare and that hops, by themselves are not poisonous. IMO, if board-certified veterinary toxicologists think hops can cause MH, that is good enough for me. Veterinary medicine is not like human medicine. We rarely have huge study groups to research, and we do the best we can with our limited resources. Grapes and raisins are suspected in causing kidney failure, but we don't know why, nor do we have concrete proof. Just enough cases to believe they are the problem.

Deathweed was also talking about LD50 numbers for chocolate. Every dog is different. LD50 is kind of a guideline. It means that 50 percent of the dogs that ingest this poison at this dose will die. But each dog's personal tolerance is different. What if a dog had an underlying and undiagnosed heart condition? Chocolate would be much more dangerous.

Bottom line - you could do much worse than to listen to Deathweed on this issue. You could go to the internet and find gossip only. Or you could read Deathweed's thoughtful post and give it the credit it is due. Or, I guess you could ignore the post entirely and go about your life.

My dog has eaten chocolate in small quantities and been fine as well as a whole onion (a little smaller than a baseball) when she was only 6 months old and was fine. She actually did eat a small amount of spent hops that was stuck to the rim of the trash can after I dumped it. I thought about it for a second and dismissed it. She was, of course, fine, but I would rather have known about this at the time so I could at least watch for strange behavior. People might have a tendency to freak out about things, but that's no reason to keep information from them. As long as I know there might be a 1 in a billion chance that hops could harm my dog then I can be mindful of it. I get that a "hops will kill your dog" thread is a bit alarmist, but if a user has information about a possible risk (however minute) then they should definitely share it. For one, I am happy that I am now aware of this possible theoretical connection between hops and a slight possibility of harming my dog if she has a genetic disposition to some thing I've never heard of, because now she'll never eat hops again.

I posted my initial warning because I sincerley wish someone else who had lost a dog to hop's poisoning had taken the time to do the same. Trust me, I'd rather have my dog back than to read some of the bitter banter that my posting has caused!! It's rare- but it happens. I also don't know what vets have to do to "officially" attribute a dog's death to hops ingestion. Our dogs ate everthing- even stuff that we went out of our way to keep out of their reach! they are dogs- they don't need a reson to eat things- cat poop with aromatic crystals and their own poop being cases in point. I didn't try to have beer/hops banned (big gasp!) I simply wish that when I entered a search for hops/dogs/poison/toxin... etc something real would have popped up. All I could find was beer brands that had the name dog in them. I would like to have known that there might be a danger so I could have taken my dog to the vet and pumped his stomach rather than wait with a false sense of security and then rush him to an emergency clinic and paid top dollar to lose him anyway. Coincidentally, the emergency vet had just returned from a vet conference in Hawaii (lol- there are never conference in my work there!) and been trained in the most up-to-date protocol on how to reverse the reaction. There wasn't enough time. The human drug that helps counter hyperthermia is generally only at Hospital pharmacies- not on hand at a vet's office. Again- I am real- not an urban legend. I didn't mean to cause contraversy- simply trying to spare someone else from going through the same pain.

Nunley, Sorry for your loss. A couple months ago i was brewing and dropped a single pellet on the ground. I thought nothing of it. two hours later i was getting ready for bed, and i noticed that my gfs schnauzer was laying down, panting like he had just run around the park for an hour. It didnt subside, and next thing i know, you know who is on the computer looking up dog poisons.... when low and behold, she stumbles across hops. Little Marley didn't die, but something physiological definitely happened... why else would he have been panting so hard.... just too much of a coincidence.

The vet said the thing to do was make the dog vomit by giving it hydrogen peroxide and running it around vigorously. Im not 100% sure, but i think the dosage is 1 tablespoon for every ten pounds. Tastes like ****, so i recommend having a syringe (no needle) to shoot it down his thoat.

Bottom line, don't give dogs hops. its bad... the death of a friend would be sad

Ive noticed alot of post where a person says they have pets who are fine after eating hops or even drinking beer. I wont lie, ive poured my old dog a beer of two (god rest his soul, best friend I ever had) and he licked it up and had a good night. However, I think the idea here is long term. I suppose, like ciggies, one wont hurt ya, but pro-longed used will trigger problems.

BTW, I noticed a fellow poster saying he feed chocolate to his dog and he was fine, and this is what drew me to post. My best friend died, cause he ate an easter bunny, solid chocolate and had a mild heart attack. He was eventually put down =(, he no longer could control many functions. I keep him for a year and took after him like he did me, but after awhile it is rather expensive for a poor shmuck like me. Its the worst thing I ever had to do im my life..... and right now Im really missing him just taliing about it.

Please, do anything you can to protect you pets. They love us unconditionally and rely on us like children.

GDit, i miss my dog Buddy now! I hope he is there in heaven, and I see him in the afterlife.

-bump

wanted to bump this because this just happened to a friend of mine. The dog ended up getting on the counter and stealing a few pellets from the bag while he was not looking. The next morning the dog has a fever of 107 I think and was hospitalized for 1.5 days on cold IVs to get the temperature back down.

I didn't mean to bump this because of the above arguments relating to genetics and whatnot, only to get it back up to a recent post so some new brewers can take heed.

Be safe and keep the hops out of the reach of dogs when you are brewing, and when you are done straining everything, dump it in the trash and take it outside immediately (not sure about spent hops but I am sure they are not good either) and try and keep the whole hop leaf from falling on the ground as well

One of my dogs did eat some hops a few weeks back, we woke up the next morning and she was panting pretty good, luckily by lunch time she was back to normal...scary though

I also have had a scary situation regarding a dog and spent hops. Red, my 90lb doberman, got into the leftover junk(trub?) after I brewed a batch of beer. He spent a few hours panting heavily, like he had been out running around. He also seemed very anxious and restless.

Did my dog die, no. Was the trub good for him, NO. Did it scare the crap out of me, yes. If I would have had access to this article beforehand, you better believe that I would have been a lot more cautious. Thank you for posting it.

I do have a question.

My dog (leeloo) licked up some of the beer when I was bottling but as far as I know there was no actual hops in the beer itself ... Can this effect my dog?

BTW she vomitted maybe an hour or two later. She vommits when she eats a bone too fast.

I do have a question.

My dog (leeloo) licked up some of the beer when I was bottling but as far as I know there was no actual hops in the beer itself ... Can this effect my dog?

BTW she vomitted maybe an hour or two later. She vommits when she eats a bone too fast.

My dog loves bottling day because he gets to lick up my spilled mess. He's been doing so for several batches now and has had no ill effects. I've even fed him hydro samples as well as the not-quite-enough-to-fill-one-bottle leftovers from the bottling bucket.

TLDR: Your dog will be fine, though you might have a problem keeping her away on bottling day now ;)

I know this is old, but I really can't find a definitive answer as to whether the possibility of hop toxicity transfers to the actual beer, or applies only to the physical hops. However, most of what I've read seems to say that hop bitterness in beer itself is not a real concern. My dog definitely likes to clean up the spilled beer, and I would like to know if anyone has actual information (not anecdotal stories about your dog liking beer) stating that the acid from the hops is not toxic in the beer itself.

Just letting youy know.

For the pass two years my dog was heartworm positive.

this pass year, my dog had tasted my home brew ywice with heavy hops. about 3 oz worth

Now he is heartworm free.

Just letting youy know.

For the pass two years my dog was heartworm positive.

this pass year, my dog had tasted my home brew ywice with heavy hops. about 3 oz worth

Now he is heartworm free.

so your beer is a cure for heart worm?

There has been people trying Guinness Draught Black as a dewormer for their pets due to its hops.

My pet had a lapse in its heartguard. Got a small amount of heartworms. My pet has been using heartguard for the last two years. The heartworms could of died off naturally (heartguard does not kill the adults). I read the worms will live as long as 5-7 years. Or maybe some sort of other factor.

Btw: my dog will remain on heartguard.

Hi all,

Just adding my data here -- I just got back from the animal hospital, where my pooch is battling hops toxicity. I gave him the dregs from my kettle after disregarding all this, and his temperature and heart rate have indeed spiked. Prognosis is "guarded," etc. etc.

He's a Labrador, which is the breed besides Greyhounds mentioned in the paper... I hope it's not more widespread than that! He probably got about 0.5 - 1.0oz of spent hops, and symptoms showed up maybe a half hour later.

I don't wanna freak out folks, but I also don't want them to dismiss it; this sucks.

Hi all,

Just adding my data here -- I just got back from the animal hospital, where my pooch is battling hops toxicity. I gave him the dregs from my kettle after disregarding all this, and his temperature and heart rate have indeed spiked. Prognosis is "guarded," etc. etc.

He's a Labrador, which is the breed besides Greyhounds mentioned in the paper... I hope it's not more widespread than that! He probably got about 0.5 - 1.0oz of spent hops, and symptoms showed up maybe a half hour later.

I don't wanna freak out folks, but I also don't want them to dismiss it; this sucks.

That's too bad man, my thoughts are with you. I love my dogs as much as I love the other members of my family and couldn't imagine your pain. Hopefully all turns out well for you.

That's too bad man, my thoughts are with you. I love my dogs as much as I love the other members of my family and couldn't imagine your pain. Hopefully all turns out well for you.

Thanks for the good wishes, man. :mug:
We just got a call and it sounds like his temperature has returned to normal! I'm totally over the moon. During it, he spiked from 99 to 105 in about an hour... I'm glad he didn't get into a spent dry-hop bag or something!

Phew. I'm glad this looks like it can be a cautionary tale but not necessarily a depressing one. :tank::rockin:

Just a quick story of my experience.

I simply washed the kettle in the backyard, hosed down the pellet hops into the grass. I figured it was no biggie since it was spent & diluted with huge amounts of water.

The dog smelled it out, lapped it up, & almost died.

A quick trip to the vet saved him. The vet said even the residue is lethal to dogs.

Don't even take a chance.

Thought I would share as well.

This happened last year sometime. My friend's dog (mixed breed of some sort - he looks like a big terrier) got a hold of a bag of hop pellets when we were brewing. It is tough to determine how much he actually ingested, but we were pretty sure it was less than 1/8 of an oz.

Symptoms were similar to what others mentioned. The dog started panting and getting really warm within about 30 mins. By the time he got to the vet, his temp was 108+ and was having seizures during his stay. Luckily, the dog survived and was better in a few days.

Serious stuff tho. Definitely not worth the risk leaving hops laying around when you're brewing.

My wife is a vet tech, I work in rescue and am a dog trainer...

dogs eat some strange sh*t...dogs do strange sh*t

We have an arctic wolf hybrid that is by all indications, addicted to Colorado River Desert Toads.

We have seen (ours and clients) dogs eat everything from soap, towels, socks, rocks, dirt, crap, coffe grounds, desert dried carrion, wallets, eyeglasses...the list goes on....

Best not to take chances...

wolfstar said:
My wife is a vet tech, I work in rescue and am a dog trainer...

dogs eat some strange sh*t...dogs do strange sh*t

We have an arctic wolf hybrid that is by all indications, addicted to Colorado River Desert Toads.

That was the funniest thing I have heard all night!

I'll add my story, well really, my dog's story to this thread. When I first started brewing I wasn't aware of the potential dangers of toxicity of hops to dogs. Until then, I had my hops and other dry ingredients in a box on a shelf in my office. The day after brewing a porter, my dog, an Australian Shepherd, decided he liked the taste of the hops. I estimate he ate about 0.5 oz of hop pellets that were left over. My wife came home from work at lunch and noticed that he was panting heavily for no apparent reason. She discovered the torn up bag with the remnants of a 1 oz hops pack, and being the Google freak that she is, immediately started researching. She came across the same information cited in these threads about the potential toxicity of hops. She took Jack to the vet where they induced vomiting, gave him charcoal and put him on IV fluids. The vet also injected fluid that was iced down underneath his skin in between his shoulder blades to help bring his body temperature down. It helped, but his temp continued to climb through the evening and finally peaked at about 105, probably 4-6 hours after he ingested the hops. We ended up at the emergency vet for an overnight stay. Luckily, he pulled through, but we were really worried.

Now, all of my brewing ingredients are either locked in a closet in my office or in a minifridge in my office. I take extra precautions on brew day to ensure all hops remnants are bagged and trashed outside of the house (he likes to dumpster-dive on occasion). We are very fortunate that my wife came home when she did and took action when she did. Things could have been a lot worse.

My advice is to not even take the chance if you love your dog(s). We avoided the worst possible outcome, but ended up spending $1000 on vet bills on a completely avoidable situation. It may be relatively rare, but it happens.

If anyone out there is a vet or knows of a vet who is willing to do some more research, I would be happy to share Jack's records. I'm also contacting LHBS's to make their customers aware of the potential risks of hops toxicity.

On a lighter side, that porter was pretty damn tasty. It is now called Jack's Porter.

Sorry for your loss.
I had an incedent with my dog eating hops this past week. I just wanted to post the experience in case it could help somebody, so I just chose here. I knew hops were "bad" for dogs but didnt know the dosage that it could occur, or the actual effects. My dog is twenty lbs (breed Schipperke). I was dry hopping with pellets and three pellets bounced of the funnel and on the floor. The dog got one pellet, and I was able to get the other two pellets. I actually thought it would be a good thing, let him taste a little and find out how bad it tastes so he wont go after it ever again. I actually thought it was a little funny at the time. When I went to bed, the dog was panting. Sometimes he forgets to drink water, and I rolled my eyes and went to sleep. I woke up two hours later with he dog still standing there panting heavily, almost hyperventilating, looking up at me with a distressed looked. His heart was racing too. My mind raced back to the incident in the kitchen. It was too late to induce vomitting. I spent the rest of the night pouring water over him and sitting with him under the fan. He seemed to be slightly improving with time so I didnt take him to the vet. In the morning his pulse was still high, but the panting had gone down. I was really scared because every story I read online the dog died in the end. Sorry to the author of the post - I guess you dont need to read this - but it sounds like a horrible way to die. So +1, be careful with dogs and brewing, something really good could turn real real bad very easily. In case it does happen, here is what the vet would do.
http://www.fallbright.com/HopToxPage2.htm

Happened to my lab Jack tonight. He's still in the emergency clinic but his temp is starting to come down now. He ate about an ounce of spent leaf hops out of the compost pile, and started panting heavily a few hours later. By the time we got him to the emergency clinic his temp was at 105. The vet pretty much told us that Jack was going to die, causing my wife to go ballistic. Fortunately Jack ended up puking out the hops and with the cold IV and wet towel/fan combo his temp came under control. I feel lucky that he is gunna make it, considering most stories on this page don't end happily.

bulldawgbrewer said:
Happened to my lab Jack tonight. He's still in the emergency clinic but his temp is starting to come down now. He ate about an ounce of spent leaf hops out of the compost pile, and started panting heavily a few hours later. By the time we got him to the emergency clinic his temp was at 105. The vet pretty much told us that Jack was going to die, causing my wife to go ballistic. Fortunately Jack ended up puking out the hops and with the cold IV and wet towel/fan combo his temp came under control. I feel lucky that he is gunna make it, considering most stories on this page don't end happily.

Best of luck to Jack! Here is to a full and speedy recovery!

Thanks guys, the hospital is keeping him for another 24 hours since his temp still won't come down below 102. I'm confident he's going to be fine, so now it's time to face the $1500 bill this is costing me!

So, I'm the latest brewer to be too lax with regards to spent hops and my beloved pooch. She's a 65# Basset; she stinks to high heaven, is a born whiner, and possesses the most naturally pitiful "poor me" expression one could imagine, but I do love her dearly.

And she loves beer. Heck, sometimes I think she rivals me when it comes to the love of beer. She's no snob, though; she'll gladly quaff a BMC when the good stuff isn't readily available (i.e. when I turn my back long enough and forget that I have a beer remotely in reach of her height-challenged frame).

She even learned that if she pushed the picnic table in just the right spot, she would find herself amidst a cascading treasure trove of liquid gold. Fortunately, I eventually caught on to her antics. She may look pitiful and dumb, but she certainly had me fooled for quite some time. In all fairness, however, I'm probably not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Anyhow, given her love of beer, and knowing that it hasn't caused any overt problems to this point, I didn't think much about pouring the two cups of wort and trub on the pile of yard debris. Most of the spent hop pellets stayed in the sock, so there really wasn't much trub.

A couple of hours later, I noticed her panting and whimpering a little. But, she always whines and it was a warm, so, again, I didn't think too much about it. Then I noticed an unusual amount of restlessness. Her preferred state of existence is that of sleeping and she couldn't stay still long enough to nap. That's when it finally hit me that something could be wrong. Her body temp was elevated, but nothing crazy.

A quick search brought up information related to hops and potential toxicity. I attempted to induce vomiting, but there wasn't much for her to expel. I then put her in the tub with cold water and added some ice. That seemed to help a little. After the cooling bath, I had a fan on her for a few hours. That also seemed to help.

She was a bit restless through the night, but she was also able to get some sleep. This morning, she seemed much better: No panting and only a slightly elevated body temp. While the literature suggests the danger can exist for 36 hours, I felt she was doing well enough to leave her at home with a lot of water and a fan on if she needed.

Yes, I know this is only anecdotal information and conjecture on my part, but the unusual behavior of my dog and the symptoms exhibited by her are enough for me to speculate that hops may have had an negative impact on my pooch.

If my speculation is correct, I'm very *fortunate* that there was only a minimal amount of spent hop trub in the wort that I so thoughtlessly discarded. If I am incorrect, well, then, at the very least I will be far more aware of how I dispose of such debris in the future.

Fingers crossed.

So, I'm the latest brewer to be too lax with regards to spent hops and my beloved pooch. She's a 65# Basset; she stinks to high heaven, is a born whiner, and possesses the most naturally pitiful "poor me" expression one could imagine, but I do love her dearly.

And she loves beer. Heck, sometimes I think she rivals me when it comes to the love of beer. She's no snob, though; she'll gladly quaff a BMC when the good stuff isn't readily available (i.e. when I turn my back long enough and forget that I have a beer remotely in reach of her height-challenged frame).

She even learned that if she pushed the picnic table in just the right spot, she would find herself amidst a cascading treasure trove of liquid gold. Fortunately, I eventually caught on to her antics. She may look pitiful and dumb, but she certainly had me fooled for quite some time. In all fairness, however, I'm probably not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Anyhow, given her love of beer, and knowing that it hasn't caused any overt problems to this point, I didn't think much about pouring the two cups of wort and trub on the pile of yard debris. Most of the spent hop pellets stayed in the sock, so there really wasn't much trub.

A couple of hours later, I noticed her panting and whimpering a little. But, she always whines and it was a warm, so, again, I didn't think too much about it. Then I noticed an unusual amount of restlessness. Her preferred state of existence is that of sleeping and she couldn't stay still long enough to nap. That's when it finally hit me that something could be wrong. Her body temp was elevated, but nothing crazy.

A quick search brought up information related to hops and potential toxicity. I attempted to induce vomiting, but there wasn't much for her to expel. I then put her in the tub with cold water and added some ice. That seemed to help a little. After the cooling bath, I had a fan on her for a few hours. That also seemed to help.

She was a bit restless through the night, but she was also able to get some sleep. This morning, she seemed much better: No panting and only a slightly elevated body temp. While the literature suggests the danger can exist for 36 hours, I felt she was doing well enough to leave her at home with a lot of water and a fan on if she needed.

Yes, I know this is only anecdotal information and conjecture on my part, but the unusual behavior of my dog and the symptoms exhibited by her are enough for me to speculate that hops may have had an negative impact on my pooch.

If my speculation is correct, I'm very *fortunate* that there was only a minimal amount of spent hop trub in the wort that I so thoughtlessly discarded. If I am incorrect, well, then, at the very least I will be far more aware of how I dispose of such debris in the future.

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed here, too, man!

http://www.vetlearn.com/veterinary-technician/toxicology-brief-hops-make-dogs-hot

I am a Veterinary Technician (Nurse) and was doing some continuing education online. I came across this article. It's geared more towards those in Veterinary Medicine but it was still something I never knew, and felt the need to share with everyone here. Here is the article cut and pasted and the link is above if anyone wants to share or look at the rest of the website.

You get a call at your clinic from owners who are frantic about their dog, which is panting excessively and has bright red gums. Earlier in the evening, the dog ingested spent hops that had been tossed on the soil of a potted houseplant. However, the owners do not think their dog’s clinical signs are due to the ingestion because their other dog also ingested the hops but is asymptomatic.

Humulus lupulus, a member of the Cannabinaceae family, has male and female plants. The female plant produces seedless flowers (cones) known as hops, which are used in brewing beer to provide bitter flavors and aromas.1 Hops are also sometimes used as a calming agent in herbal supplements.2 Some dog treats contain small amounts of hops extract to help alleviate anxiety; however, in larger quantities, hops can be fatal to dogs. The median lethal dose of hops in dogs is unknown. This article provides an overview of hops toxicosis and its treatment in dogs.

Hops intoxication in dogs is rare but can be devastating for unsuspecting dog owners who home brew beer. Spent hops make a great fertilizer because of their nitrogen content and tendency to warm rapidly when wet.3 For these reasons, hops are often tossed into compost piles or gardens, to which curious dogs may have access.

When used in home brewing, hops come in several different forms: whole flowers, pellets, and plugs of whole flower.1 These chemically diverse mixtures contain essential oils (which produce aromas) and α- and β-hydroxyacids (which are bittering agents).1 The many varieties of hops have differing ratios of these components, contributing to the complexity of hops and the difficulty in determining the mechanism of action for toxicity in dogs. Fresh cones and pellets and even spent hops are considered toxic to dogs.4

Clinical Signs of Toxicosis

The primary clinical sign of hops intoxication is a malignant hyperthermia-like reaction resulting in a rapid increase in body temperature.4 Certain canine breeds are more prone to developing malignant hyperthermia because they have a genetic mutation that allows an increase in the calcium level in muscle cells. This results in increased muscle contractions and changes in metabolism.5 Malignant hyperthermia can be triggered by stress, certain anesthetic gases, and exercise.5 Initially, it seemed that greyhounds were more prone to developing the malignant hyperthermia-like reaction seen with hops ingestion.6 However, as more cases of hops ingestion were reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, it became apparent that many other canine breeds are susceptible.

The onset of clinical signs varies from 30 minutes to 12 hours after ingestion. Most commonly, owners notice their pet panting heavily, which is sometimes preceded by vomiting. Clinical signs may include panting, agitation, vomiting, injected mucous membranes, and death.4,7 Physical examination findings may include tachycardia and elevated body temperature.

Treatment

Because the median lethal dose of hops in dogs is unknown, ingestion of brewing hops should be considered life-threatening. Asymptomatic dogs should be decontaminated by induction of emesis and administration of activated charcoal. The patient should be monitored for 8 to 12 hours while receiving intravenous fluids.4 Hydrogen peroxide (3%; 2 mL/kg up to 45 mL) or apomorphine (0.04 mg/kg IV) may be administered to induce emesis within 1 hour of exposure if the patient is asymptomatic.6 If more than 1 hour has passed since ingestion or if emesis does not recover all of the hops, gastric or enterogastric lavage may be considered.4,6 The effectiveness of gastric lavage may be limited if the form of hops ingested is too large to pass through the tube. If gastric lavage is used, it should be performed within 2 hours of exposure.4,8 Activated charcoal (1 to 2 g/kg PO) can be given with a cathartic for further decontamination.6 Intravenous fluids should be administered to reduce body temperature and increase urine output.6 Fans, cool baths, and external ice packs may also help to reduce body temperature.4 Diazepam (0.5 to 1 mg/kg IV) may be given to treat agitation.4

No specific antidote is available for hops intoxication. Dantrolene is a skeletal muscle relaxant that can be used to treat malignant hyperthermia.4,7 Once body temperature becomes elevated, dantrolene can be administered at an initial dose of 2 to 3 mg/kg IV or 3.5 mg/kg PO. Thereafter, the drug can be given at 100 mg q12h PO for 3 days.4,6 Dantrolene is not typically available at veterinary clinics, so it may need to be acquired from a local human hospital. If dantrolene is not available, cyproheptadine may be administered at 1.1 mg/kg PO q6h as needed. There is some evidence that malignant-like hyperthermia is a result of serotonin effects.4,9 The use of cyproheptadine has had successful results in some cases of hyperthermia triggered by hops.4

Laboratory Diagnostics

The patient’s acid-base status should be monitored, as the lactic acid and carbon dioxide levels may become elevated due to increases in anaerobic and aerobic metabolism within the muscle cells.4,5 Metabolic acidosis occurs when too much lactic acid has been produced in the body; it can be treated by administering sodium bicarbonate (1 to 2 mEq/kg IV).6 Respiratory acidosis occurs when the lungs cannot remove carbon dioxide fast enough; it can be managed using ventilator support.5 Muscle tissue may begin to break down in a process known as rhabdomyolysis.5 A complete blood count and a chemistry panel (including the creatine kinase level) should be obtained for a baseline.4,7 The creatine kinase level (normal: 50 to 554 U/L)10 may become markedly elevated. A tenfold increase above the high end of normal indicates rhabdomyolysis.11 Urinalysis is also recommended.4,7 The urine is often brown due to myoglobinuria. If rhabdomyolysis occurs, renal values should be monitored.4 The patient should be given intravenous fluids to prevent kidney failure due to myoglobin release from muscle cells. In patients with prolonged hyperthermia, a platelet count, a blood smear, and coagulation testing should be considered.4,12 With severe hyperthermia, disseminated intravascular coagulation may occur; in this condition, blood clots develop throughout the body, depleting platelets and clotting factors and possibly resulting in abnormal bleeding.12

Prognosis

Hops toxicosis can be lethal even if dantrolene is administered. Death may occur due to organ damage from elevated body temperature and associated metabolic changes.4 In cases resulting in death, death usually occurs within 3 to 12 hours after the onset of clinical signs.4 When treatment is successful, clinical signs can take 24 to 72 hours to resolve.4

Acknowledgments

The author thanks Safdar A. Khan, DVM, MS, PhD, DABVT; Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT; and Marsha Hays, CVT, who are affiliated with the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, Urbana, Illinois, for their contributions to and review of this article.

When it comes to mans best friend, I think a friendly reminder is worth repeating.
Thanks for the info.

I almost lost my dog 3yrs ago to hop ingestion. I was brewing up an IPA and BBQ a brisket. When weighing out my hops in the kitchen I dropped a couple of hop cones on the floor. Didn't think anything about it since I had no idea hops could be deadly so I figured I would clean up later. Had the brisket on the counter in the same area as where the hops had fallen and I know meat was falling on the floor and my dog of course was gobbling it up. So to you people that say dogs wouldn't eat hops because they are nasty I am giving you a story of how it could happen. I know he wouldn't eat them by themselves(I have held some in my hand and he has no interest in them). But in this case he was thinking everything on the floor was delicious brisket. Just be careful with your hops it might save you heartache and in my case $4000. By the way he is an Aussie. Even if there is only a 1 in a million chance your dog could die why chance it.

So to you people that say dogs wouldn't eat hops because they are nasty I am giving you a story of how it could happen.

WOW... ARE PEOPLE REALLY THIS IGNORANT Scott?! Sad.... You are totally right!
Hop are super deadly to dog and dogs DO go after them! I HAVE SEEN IT!
A message to the idiots who want to gamble with their dogs lives or want to say dogs wont eat it: Eat a bag of D**KS guys!
Had a friend who's dog was super picky... guess what: DEAD... why... hops!!!

Every dog is different, just like people. Some will turn up their nose to hops - my Irish Setter runs away from them - some will gobble them up. My Golden Retriever will eat em if given the chance.

Be safe and keep them away from your pups. Hops will kill your dog. Its that simple. I use a hop spider, and always flush mine down the toilet. Never toss em out in the backyard with your spent grain....

Thank you for this post! I had no idea and I've never attempted to give my dog hops, or the opportunity to get at the spent wort, but I'll make sure he never has a chance in the future. Thanks again!

I know this thread is old, but I just went through an ordeal with my female black lab. I had a tin of hop extract outside and unbeknownst to me someone had taken it off the table that it had been on for months and put it on the ground. My black lab started panting hard like she had sprinted for a long distance and kept going in the swimming pool. She vomited and had diarrhea as well. I took her in thinking she had heatstroke (even though the temps were not above 73). It wasn't until her temp started to rise again after cooling they learned it couldn't be heatstroke. I did an investigation of my own at home and concluded she got into the hop extract that had spilled onto the ground. She's out of the hospital now, but this condition can be treated if caught early. The biggest concern as many have mentioned is Malignant Hyperthermia (overheating). If not caught early, it starts to cascade into other issues and turns into a positive feedback loop. Overheating causes anxiety and tremors which cause more heat and the cycle continues until not long after organ failure starts (kidneys and liver in particular). If caught early, with fluids, ice packs, enemas, and fans the temps can be controlled. Along with some specific type of muscle relaxant (dantrolene) to control the tremors. She's had a rough go of it the last 48 hours but she's already showing signs of improvement since being home and having a solid night's sleep.

Back