BREAKTHROUGH! How to brew beer in 5 days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me. I don't think we are going to have a problem extracting all the sugars. I'll put mine up tomorrow. I gotta hit the sack - talk to you tomorrow.

i wonder if this can be done more efficiently with an old commercial coffee maker, you know, the big ones in diners that have the two heating pads on top. I also wonder if our more technically inclined members would be able to adjust the wiring on those pads to be adjustable for mash temps. While a few things would need to be modified, you could essentially take the mechanics of a coffeemaker and make it into a rather efficient brewery.

The wheels turn :p

i wonder if this can be done more efficiently with an old commercial coffee maker, you know, the big ones in diners that have the two heating pads on top. I also wonder if our more technically inclined members would be able to adjust the wiring on those pads to be adjustable for mash temps. While a few things would need to be modified, you could essentially take the mechanics of a coffeemaker and make it into a rather efficient brewery.

The wheels turn :p

There's actually a few threads on here discussiong using large coffee urns to brew beers...Evidently some people do use 5 and 10 gallon urns with the heating elements in theirs systems. There was a woman on here about 3 months ago from Scotland talking about building a pico system she could take to senior and community centers to demo brewing for them...And at least one member of the Michigan Masher's scored a large coffee urn a couple weeks ago at a goodwill who is playing around with it...

Here's the one about the Burco Coffee Urns in Scotland
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/smallest-fastest-all-grain-rig-world-91914/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/coffee-urn-hlt-89901/

coffee pot brew is under way. Mash is at 156...not gonna muck with it. As long as I get decent efficiency I can fudge the rest with the refractometer. Im shooting for a Belgian IPA.

keeping the temps is proving to be pretty troublesome. The burner heats real unevenly, and the edges are losing heat really fast.

I dont want it to take me 5 days to brew a beer.

My wife gets pissed at the fact that it takes several hours to do a batch.
-Me

1.027 at 2 gallons going into the pot. The malt should hit me around ~1.080 at 1/2 gallon!! WOot! I'll add corn sugar in a few days.

1.027 at 2 gallons going into the pot. The malt should hit me around ~1.080 at 1/2 gallon!! WOot! I'll add corn sugar in a few days.

So just to clear up, you are using real brewing methods (none of this cheesecloth over mason jar ****) except you mashed in a coffee pot? How was the temp stability?

temp stability was a ****ing mess, but the rest of the stuff is generally the same. I used a strainer and a couple pots to do the sparge, but I mashed in the coffee pot in my coffee maker. The rest is pretty much the same as any other brew. Its still boiling... its at about 1.045 now so I have a bit longer to go.

What's a "20oz Pint Glass"? A f*cking pint is a pint-16oz!! What a joke...

There's actually a few threads on here discussiong using large coffee urns to brew beers...Evidently some people do use 5 and 10 gallon urns with the heating elements in theirs systems. There was a woman on here about 3 months ago from Scotland talking about building a pico system she could take to senior and community centers to demo brewing for them...And at least one member of the Michigan Masher's scored a large coffee urn a couple weeks ago at a goodwill who is playing around with it...

I think we all suffer from the "can I use that in my brewhouse" syndrome after awhile... but that one never crossed my mind.

*&@# Revvy, now I'm going to be going around to Goodwill stores looking for a used coffee urn. :D

I'm back from the eagle hunting trip. Saw 9 today. Also ran across a herd of 19 elk. Pretty good day.

I had the same issue with keeping the temps. I could hold the mash right around 152-153 pretty easily. It was the sparging that was a pain. My maker pretty much does a really nice fly sparge (for something not intended for that use) The problem was the temp - I kept having to drizzle colder water in with it. I ended up doing a 20 minute rest (I was curious) and two 10's. I came 20 oz short of a gallon. Also - I could only get 1/3 of a pound in at a time - so I had to do it 3 times. 40 minutes left in boil.

Pics in a sec

Here's some pics Grain and mash temp:
Grain.JPG

Mash.JPG

1.5# of grain

461788240_Lsk5E-L.jpg

barley crusher action, and gizmo the 19yr old cat.

461788709_9ecGR-L.jpg

Grain is larger in volume when its crushed, until its gets wet. I have like 1/2 of the grain in here gettin wet. I added the other half when it fill up more.

461789100_vrvdu-L.jpg

All the grain is in there, but the temp coming out of the coffee maker was like 165ish, so I put it in an ice batch to crash it down like 10 degrees.

461789813_zAHaQ-L.jpg

Grain got down to high 140s, so I cranked the heat up. The thing stuck at like 149 for a while, then shot up suddenly when the heat hit the thermostat.

461790197_YKcV9-L-0.jpg

Sparging in a strainer. I did two pots through the strainer, then dumped the grains in a seperate container with a 3rd pot of water and soaked for like 10 minutes. I dumped the sparge I already collected in the brew pot, drained the grains in the empty bucket, then reran the second runnings through the grain. I ued ~4 pots total.

461786871_NEkG8-L.jpg

sweet wort, hops added when I started sparging.

461787240_9iPKU-L.jpg

BEER! I ended up at 1.062 OG, and the volume is a little high so I'm right about on for my OG. Efficiency was around 60% which isnt bad considering I'm using a strainer. I'm gonna add corn sugar to this to juice up the %. WLP565 Saison slurry went in... should be good to go!

461787784_iomf4-L.jpg

Thoughts - You can follow the correct steps and make beer in a coffee maker - we'll just have to wait to see if it's any good. I found that cleanup was a little easier. The process took a little more babysitting than I thought. It was fun experimenting. Would I do it again? Maybe, just to see if I couldn't tweak the process some. How about you?

ehh... it was less of a hassle than normal cause the volume was less. It was about as easy as an extract brew, except I only got like 3 beers worth out of all the effort. I wouldn't do it again, but then again nobody else here can say they brewed beer outta a coffee pot.

True. I'll let you know how it ends up tasting. Thanks for jumping in with me. That was pretty weird that I woke up wondering about it and you posted it at the same time.

I guess if I had never brewed beer before reading that, it would be cool and I might just try it, but seriously I think it would just be easier the current way.

It goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read in a magazine. While the general principal is correct, the execution is horribly off.

damn... you should have boiled it down more. I ended up doing a 90 minute boil and got it up to 1.062.

You're right. I was getting tired and thought - OK we've proved it could work (I was at1.042 if I remember correctly), now I'll just bump it up a bit to where I like it.;)

I'm thinking this would be a great way to make wort for a yeast starter just the right amount of wort and a whole lot cheaper than using DME like I currently do.

Back