The Most Unsanitary Thing That's Ever Happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1911

Reaction score
Ok.... So I just brewed up a porter... I worked pretty hard on the recipe... mash temps worked out perfect, the boil was awesome... everything was going as planned... then after pitching my yeast... while putting the airlock in the top of my bucket...... the rubber seal in the lid fell out! into my wort! I may have had a few too many homebrews while brewing...lol. so I'm freaking out but I also dont take myself too seriously so I do see the humor in it... Well I try to dig it out with a sanitized spoon... not going to good at all... So I give up... I wash my whole arm with soap for a few minutes... wash it with hand sanitizer then wash it some more in the sink...I dig in...to my fresh wort with my arm... find the seal, sanitize what needs sanitizing and put my airlock back in. I understand you guys typing on a beer website wont fix my beer... and I sure as hell aint dumpin it! but... what do you guys think as far as contamination... I like to think im good.. or has pisser met pooper on this one..if you know what I mean :)

You used "hand sanitizer" on your arm...? Does that just mean you dipped your arm into sanitizer like starsan?

If indeed you washed your arm twice and then sanitized it before dipping into the fermenter, without touching anything, I'd be more worried about the unsanitized rubber seal... how clean was it?

(has pisser met pooper...? one of the ugliest expression I've heard in a while... :p )

Not even close to the most unsanitary thing Ive read on here, or witnessed.

Me and my buddy were bottling a beer and his toddler threw a snot rag in the bottling bucket without us noticing.

Ive heard of far worse on here as well.

Your beer will be fine, it was a non event.

You should be fine...but next time just pour your wort into a clean bucket and leave the seal behind.

this has to be the most commonly posted thing on these boards, "i dropped the rubber seal in the wort!!!!".

Seagull took a dump in the air as it flew by and it fell right into the BK as we turned off the heat and about to run the wort through the chiller...

One of my buddies started to barf, another laughed uncontrollably for a few minutes. Most of us just stared at each other in a shocked daze for a few seconds. Lot's of "WTF"s all around.

An immediate unsolicited and unanimous vote ensued for dumping the whole batch. Not even a thought about just boiling it for whoever long to sterilize the wort.

It was one of our most expensive recipes to begin with and it hurt all the way back to the LHMS to pick up enough ingredients for another go.

The second batch was done under a beach umbrella.

i had sanitized all my gear as usual, poured my wort in the bucket that was located where it was going to ferment. but i had forgot the scissors to cut the yeast packet. i ran to grab them and when i came back my dog was taking a sample. LOL i pitched the yeast put the lid on and kegged it 3 weeks later. turned out to be a pretty nice beer.

i had sanitized all my gear as usual, poured my wort in the bucket that was located where it was going to ferment. but i had forgot the scissors to cut the yeast packet. i ran to grab them and when i came back my dog was taking a sample. LOL i pitched the yeast put the lid on and kegged it 3 weeks later. turned out to be a pretty nice beer.

Dog saliva is known for its awesome antibacterial properties :)

Was this a Red Tick Beer clone?

RedTickBrewery.jpg

"Hmm...Needs more dog."

well to be honest, i polished the keg off in 2 weekends. it was Yoopers DFH60 extract brew. maybe that was the "special" ingredient that needs to be added to all my brews.

Who wants to come over and have a few beers??? LOL

I am pretty sure that the fermentation will take care of any nasties that might have been on your arm. You are probably all good. I haven't had anything too crazy happen to me so far. I have (while cooling) noticed some bee carcases in my wort before but I didn't really think much of it, lol.

We had a guy at in our club do something similar. His keggle dip tube clogged and he had to reach in to unclog it. The beer was called Arm Brau after that... he is particularly hairy too, hopefully the yeast he pitched was strong. :)

Seagull took a dump in the air as it flew by and it fell right into the BK as we turned off the heat and about to run the wort through the chiller...

One of my buddies started to barf, another laughed uncontrollably for a few minutes. Most of us just stared at each other in a shocked daze for a few seconds. Lot's of "WTF"s all around.

An immediate unsolicited and unanimous vote ensued for dumping the whole batch. Not even a thought about just boiling it for whoever long to sterilize the wort.

It was one of our most expensive recipes to begin with and it hurt all the way back to the LHMS to pick up enough ingredients for another go.

Damn, maybe I am just a dirty dirty human being...but I wouldn't ahve thought twice about finishing that beer. Scoop out anything floating, fire it up to boil another 10 minutes...and just keep on with the brewing. Anything gnarly will either get eaten by yeast or fall out and become part of the trub/yeast-cake.

Then again, I get emotional when it comes to beer. :ban:

Well nothing has ever defecated into my wort, but I've definitely lost one or more carboy bungs in a fermenter (I keep spares so I've just left them). The worst thing that's happened in recent memory is probably discovering that one of the compression fittings on my old and trusty whirlpool chiller (since retired) had apparently been banged loose by some clumsy fool. (me)

I was brewing down on 5th avenue...

this homeless guy finishes raping a poodle and walks by. A cop yells for him to stop and the homeless guy and his dirty junk and trench coat jump into my brew pot....and dissolve!!!

The boil stopped and the cop then threw up in my wort.

Most unsanitary thing EVER??????

I expected something better than this.

I was brewing down on 5th avenue...

this homeless guy finishes raping a poodle and walks by. A cop yells for him to stop and the homeless guy and his dirty junk and trench coat jump into my brew pot....and dissolve!!!

The boil stopped and the cop then threw up in my wort.

Did you dump it?

So uh... a few years ago I was trying a recipe from a book for a light ale. The recipe description said it was a great lawn-mowing beer so I figured I'd call it "LawnMower" creatively enough. So, in order to 'make the recipe my own' as it were I thought, "Hey, I have some fresh lawn clippings in the yard. What if I grabbed a handfull and threw that in the boil toward the end?" I figured that would work great as a fining agent.

As it turns out... this was a tremendously bad idea. I don't know what the hell was in those lawn clippings but the beer that ensued was so damn awful I had to dump the whole batch. I didn't want to. I was early enough into brewing that the idea of throwing out one of my creations no matter who badly botched was anathema.

But ultimately, LawnMower HAD to die. It just HAD to.

Lessons to live by.

Yes, reboiling it would've done the job just fine. I mean, you can brew beer with water from a duck pond and it'll come out just fine. I believe in this case, the issue was that we saw what the secret ingredient was and how it got in there. It was just wrong...

Yes, reboiling it would've done the job just fine. I mean, you can brew beer with water from a duck pond and it'll come out just fine. I believe in this case, the issue was that we saw what the secret ingredient was and how it got in there. It was just wrong...

The secret ingredient? you mean the homeless guy or his trenchcoat?

LOL This happened to me as well, but halfway into the boil. The bird crap coagulated and remained on to. I quickly we skimmed the crap from the wort. We all decided that if you boiled it for the next 30 min, it would be sanitized.

The beer was dubbed bird **** wit. It was good, but you always thought about the bird **** while drinking. Hmmm, "Is that yeasty wit haze or bird **** haze in my wort haze". For some reason none of my brew club buds would have any. Go figure.

Revvy started a thread a few years back about sanitation mistakes experience brewers had made - and the beers coming out ok. He did it in part as a "give examples so new brewers can see from others experience that they didn't just destroy their beer" Somebody stuck an arm - wasn't specified as sanatized - into their cooled primary. I don't remember them all, I do remember thinking. 'huh.. guess it is hard to foul this stuff.'

And I've been a victem of screw ups - used a bad hose and infected a beer when racking to the bottling bucket. I figure the difference is the hose had been used for beer and therefore had a larger amount of beer eating bacteria, my arm (or anyones arm) is probably not made of beer so it wouldn't have a higher than average amount of bacteria that eat beer.

Had a bee fly into my boil once, big effer. fished him out, but took it as a sign ;)

I dumped all of the honey in the house into the boil (11 oz or so)

Had a bee fly into my boil once, big effer. fished him out, but took it as a sign ;)

I dumped all of the honey in the house into the boil (11 oz or so)

If I did that, I'd go from a beer to a braggot... (assume 51% of the fermentables determine the primary style name). I have over 25lb of honey in the house... enough for about 10 gallons of dry mead.... let me see. Added to a typical beer, I think we are talking 25% abv (assuming it finishes)

If I did that, I'd go from a beer to a braggot... (assume 51% of the fermentables determine the primary style name). I have over 25lb of honey in the house... enough for about 10 gallons of dry mead.... let me see. Added to a typical beer, I think we are talking 25% abv (assuming it finishes)

Lol, I wouldn't have done it were that the case. Since it wasn't.......2 half full little plastic bears were emptied of their partial contents.

Back