Possibly stupid bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwcm

Reaction score
Well priming sugar really. Was going to bottle yesterday so I boiled my priming sugar, covered the pot, and left it to cool.

Also brewed yesterday which ate up all my time so I didn't get a chance to bottle. Soooooo the covered pot has been sitting on the stove since yesterday. Do you think it would be contaminated by now and I should just make more or might I be gtg?

I also read somewhere about canning priming sugar solution....anyone able to point me that way?

I can't really answer your question, but here is a counter question: how much does a package of priming sugar and a couple cups of water cost?

Compare that cost to the cost of a batch, figuring in the odds of infection (I know, I know... This is your real question).

If it was me, I'd spend the $0.75 on new priming sugar.

Don't bother chancing it. Priming sugar is so cheap. Just make a new batch. If it was just water, you'd probably be fine but it's a big juicy pot of dextrose, ripe for some bacteria feasting.

I use honey or brown sugar or molasses for priming. No reason to go out and "buy priming sugar" when you probably have it you house already. Normally I use brown sugar for dark beers, browns, porters, stouts and honey for pale ales and IPA's. For Pumpkin Porter I use molasses. Download this excel sheet to determine sugar type and quantity.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/cps-brew-chart-3-0-a-224451/

That's a VERY good point. Why don't I just boil the stuff again? It'll kill whatever decided to move in.

I boiled it again and used it. We shall see how I did in about 2 more weeks. Thanks for the replies!

Brewer in BR just answerd a question I was gonna post. Could I use Karo corn syrup or Molassas. To prime my bottles? I forgot to order priming sugar. And though it is cheap Pay shipping and handeling for that seems silly.

Mike

I do worse than this. I have a habit of boiling my priming sugar and cooling it, then when ready to add it to my bottling bucket I think, "why is this water sitting here?" and proceed to dump it into my StarSan bucket and immediately think DAMN! .......... Restart boiling some priming sugar water so I can bottle.

D'OH!

Back