WLP007 appreciation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love what it does when it is finished with a starter. Reminds me of egg drop soup.

I love what it does when it is finished with a starter. Reminds me of egg drop soup.

Realizing this is an old WLP007 thread, I saw the term "egg drop soup" used describing the starter. I saw this same thing myself and would have questioned the viability of the starter had I not seen a similar appearance with WY1028 some time back.

My remark or question relates to the speed this yeast takes off: I pitched from a high krausen starter (egg drop soup) into 1.055 wort at 75 degrees. I did this since the starter was at 73F and I didn't want to shock the yeast. I gradually dropped the temps (glycol chiller) down to 65F over the next couple of hours. Anyway....in 15 hours from pitch, the BO tube is going nuts into the StarSan container and my trusty Tilt is now reading 1.033. This is one heck of a drop, and based on this initial fermentation speed, I figure the bulk of fermentation will be completed in 3 days. I wont mess with anything for 10 - 12 days, but is this normal for WLP007 to launch with this much vigor?

Last edited:
I use this a lot for my British beers. It is awesome! Quick to take off in either a starter or the primary. Great attenuation also. It does have a mild amount of 'British' flavor I find, but that's desirable imo.

Getting ready to use some in my dark mild recipe this coming weekend.

is this normal for WLP007 to launch with this much vigor?

Just thinking the same thing. I used WLP 007 for a brut IPA brewed Saturday (3 days ago). Did a 1L starter from the new WL yeast package and worried about it from the beginning - came out of the tube like a paste and egg drop soup starter from the beginning. Batch took off, once pitched, faster than most of my others and 3 days in is already ramping down significantly. I think this is par for the course for 007.

Yes, if I had not looked at some old threads and noted the consistency of this yeast, I may have thought it had gone bad in shipment. The 007 batch is less than 2 days in, and the BO activity is showing signs of slowing down. I think by day 3 the yeast will have pretty much settled down, so I plan to do my first yeast/trub dump in the conical then. This gets the trub out of the way so I can harvest some yeast by day 8-10 or so. Even though we know the yeast will have done its thing well before day 14, I am still old school and always leave in conical two weeks before crashing and racking. Old habit I guess.

Last edited:
Back