Fermentation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eller_13

Reaction score
I am brewing an IPA and am having some issues with my s shaped airlock. I fill the airlock with water/star san mixture and the fermentation is so aggressive that it pushes the liquid out and my airlock is dry after about 1-2 hours. I am fermenting in a plastic bucket.

Please provide some advice on what to do.

Should I get a three-piece?

Blow off tube. Remove the airlock & gasket on the bucket, insert a sanitized 3/8" tubing into the hole and then run the other end into container of starsan or cleaner. When initial fermentation settles down after a few days, reinsert the gasket and airlock.

Seconded. ^^ In my setup, the racking hose is the perfect size to fit the grommet. Just pull the airlock, sanitize the hose and insert about 2 or 3 inches, other end in starsan.

Thanks! I sanitized the the tacking tube and used it, worked like a charm. I am a little nervous because it was dry for multiple hours last night (sleeping). I hope no bacteria got in.

No worries. Some people still use open fermentation, others use loose lids with no airlocks. You'll be fine.

Thanks! I sanitized the the tacking tube and used it, worked like a charm. I am a little nervous because it was dry for multiple hours last night (sleeping). I hope no bacteria got in.

Since it's fermenting you have C02 going out, it's doubtful anything got in. :)

Rick

If your fermentation is aggeresive enough to dry out an air lock in 1-2 hours, then you have no worries about nasty little buggers getting in. With the volume of pressure that is blowing out of that carboy, I am pretty sure that nothing had an opportunity to muscle it's way into your beer. RDWHAHB. :fro:

Back