Solenoid Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I currently use the Honeywell valves with the pilot light safety system. I am not a fan of these as they are difficult to light and I find that they need to be relit a lot. I'm not sure I gain much safety since I brew outside and am constantly there when the fire is potentially on. I am thinking of replacing them with a regular solenoid valve and plumbing my own pilot lights (or perhaps several per burner).

Would these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-AC-1-2...655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab8bb917

or these?

http://www.joyfay.com/us/1-2-brass-electric-solenoid-valve-110vac-viton-seal-n-c-air-gas-fuel.html

I have 1/2" black pipe to low pressure banjo burners.

I think that would probably work, provided you are not of course relying on them to regulate the pressure at all. I have one of that same solenoid valve, I use it to switch on and off 130psig compressed air, it works great, very positive shutoff with no detectable leakage even after sitting for a week. So in a relatively dry gas stream I think it is good.

Doesn't really apply here, but it does not work well as a condensate drain, it jams up quickly, but then I think any solenoid will, I've tried many and the rusty condensate water makes them not close all the way after even a couple operations.

Note of course, the solenoid like pretty much any solenoid valve, gets $%@#*( hot after it's been energized for say 5 minutes or more.

I used to run standalone solenoids like that, and went to the Honeywell VR8200's. I can tell you the pilot with the VR8200 is much more stable than I could ever make it with a standalone solenoid. More than likely you're going to continue to have the same problem. You need to shield the pilot well from wind and other external influences.

jcaudill said:
I used to run standalone solenoids like that, and went to the Honeywell VR8200's. I can tell you the pilot with the VR8200 is much more stable than I could ever make it with a standalone solenoid. More than likely you're going to continue to have the same problem. You need to shield the pilot well from wind and other external influences.

Which vr8200 system did you use? I see that there are 27 different types and vine had no luck finding someone's complete part number.

Back