Looking for a house yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obliviousbrew

Reaction score
OK I´ve tried several yeast strains and yet I haven´t decide about my house yeast.
I brew america pale ales and amercian IPAs mostly so I´m looking for a clean yeast that floccs good and attenuates good too. The closest I got to what I wanted it´s US-05 Wyeast 1056, but I don´t like how it floccs. I´ve been thinking about Pacman but haven´t tried it yet.
What do you guys think can be Pacman a nice house yeast strain, I know is hard to get now but I´m starting to use yeast slant and petri dishes so I think I can harvest some. Also what beer will you recomend to harvest this yeast?

I'm currently using American Ale II and I like it. In the past I've used Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50.

Try WLP002. It floccs like a rock, has mild esters, and good attenuation. You can get from grain to glass faster and with tastier results than any other strain I know.

I like 1728 Scottish. it's a monster and can do anything from smoky to neutral to fruity depending on the temp. It has served me well for a wide variety of styles. My second choice is 1007 if I want a top-cropper and something a bit more malty.

I have used 1056 the most of any that I have tried and like it for APA's. I also freeze yeast so I have a collection of 10 or more types. I try to use a yeast that is appropriate for the style of the beer.

When I get a new yeast I make a starter a little larger than needed then make up 4 vials to freeze. So I get a minimum of 5 brews from a single yeast purchase and if I made 4 new vials from each for 4 generations I could do 256 brews from the original buy.

My favorite brews have been with 1056 and 3787 Trappist.

Pacman is a great neutral yeast,I hear the stouts are best for harvesting, I got mine from Yellow Snow.

My house yeast is Bell's.
Doesn't floc like a rock, but not bad with a little time. My kegged brews take about a week and a half and that's without cold crash or clearing agents. They take that long to carb anyway, so not a big deal for me,and once it's clear,it's clear...not "mostly" clear. It also took my Pliny clone(1.075) down to 1.012. I don't like my IPA's to get super low because I like a little malt to balance the hops. It also adds a little something that I can't really explain, but no other yeast I've used has that same "Umph".
Harvest can be done from their Pale or Best Brown. I've gotten it from Two Hearted also, but because it's dry hopped, it's not the best choice.

I don't use it all the time, but I find White Labs Edinburgh strain to be both good and flexible. It accentuates malt flavors without suppressing hop flavors. Fermented low (58-60F) it has a very clean flavor profile. White Labs suggests it as an alternative 'house strain' to WLP001which is why I first tried it.

Great replies guys/girls I´m still deciding, so I think I´m going to make a 12 gallon batch and split it in three using some harvest pacman, WL028 and Wyeast 1728. I know Wyeast 1056 (therefore US-05 and WL001) and I´ve also tried Wyeast American Ale II they are very good but not what I´m looking for, WL002 well haven´t tried it but I read it can mute the hop caracther and well, I mostly want it for my APAs and IPAs so I already discard that option.
Is going to take me while to get those three strains, I can get 1728 easly but White Labs are hard to get here and I have to harvest and build up some Pacman. I´ll try to post results (probably next month) Thanks for the help

I've haven't had a chance to use it yet but I hear the new San Deigo Super yeast WLP090 Is like Cal ale but ferments faster and flocs much better. I'd imagine this is the yeast you are looking for.

Also, I like WLP007 More esters then Cal Ale but it can be fairly clean if you ferment cooler. Works fast and flocs very well.

I've also heard great things about wlp028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale as a nice alternative to Cal Ale.

You need to try wlp007 and Denny's fav

Wlp007 ferments hard, fast, and attenuates at a high level it then drops like a rock.

I use wlp008 (Sam Adams). My newest yeast is wlp080 (cream ale yeast) lager / ale yeast. Very nice clean profile.

It seems like a lot of commercial brewers use english strains for their beers. I haven't really figured out why. I have some theories, but nothing concrete. It seems like WLP051 / Wyeast 1272 are sort of a hybrid English / American strain that might work for a variety of styles.

I really like PacMan...and should be easy to get as it is available full time now from Wyeast in smackpack form... I also really like WLP007 and it sounds like it fits your needs...fairly neutral, ferments fast, and flocs fast...

Both pacMan and WLP007 are best to harvest from oversized starters...they flocculate so quickly that "washing" the yeast cake can be difficult

Another vote for Denny's Fav 50 (Wyeast 1450) in an American IPA. Attenuation approaches or exceeds that of 1056. More subdued esters than 1272 (imho) while still being a little on the fruity side. It also seems to handle warmer fermentation temperatures much better than many.

I've also been really impressed with Wyeast 1318 in both English and American pale ales. It's like a drier, less "characteristic", less temperamental Wyeast 1968.

lately my favorite yeasts have been American ale wy1056 and ringwood ale 1187

It seems like a lot of commercial brewers use english strains for their beers. I haven't really figured out why. I have some theories, but nothing concrete. It seems like WLP051 / Wyeast 1272 are sort of a hybrid English / American strain that might work for a variety of styles.

I thought it was 1332 that was the hybrid-ish strain, but I might have that mixed up.

Among the British strains I have used I like S-04 and Wyeast 1968 a lot and could see them as house strains (clean, highly flocculant). I haven't used 1098 or 1187 that I can remember.

Wow so little love for WLP090. It's a great yeast- my personal house strain. Just as clean as WLP001, ferments faster, flocculates hard, and attenuates extremely well. Add in a higher alcohol tolerance and it really is super. A word of advice about using it as a house yeast though, it likes oxygen, so you should be using pure O2 to get the best performance out of it, and you really need to keep it within its recommended temp range in order to get maximum super-ness out of it.

It's because English strains typically ferment very fast and flocculate well leaving a brilliantly clear beer in no time. It allows them to turn over product quickly.

For that reason among the other characteristics OP was looking for I recommended WLP002 which I still stand by.

Someone mentioned it muting hop character which is incorrect, or else Firestone Walker wouldn't be using it for most all of their beers. Ever tried Union Jack IPA? Nothing muted about it's hop character.

WLP002 is pretty much the perfect yeast.

It's because English strains typically ferment very fast and flocculate well leaving a brilliantly clear beer in no time. It allows them to turn over product quickly.

For that reason among the other characteristics OP was looking for I recommended WLP002 which I still stand by.

Someone mentioned it muting hop character which is incorrect, or else Firestone Walker wouldn't be using it for most all of their beers. Ever tried Union Jack IPA? Nothing muted about it's hop character.

I use 002/1968 and I feel that it DOES mute hop character. BUT that's not to say you can't add more hops!

Seriously, I feel that on hyper-bitter beers I have to add an extra 30% more bittering hops to get a proper bitterness.

I've heard that Firestone uses something more comparable to 007, however, Lagunitas uses 002 and they clearly know how to make a hoppy beer. Though they've been known to use some hop extracts in their beers too... not that I have a problem with that, but you wonder if they could achieve the same thing with real hops.

Is that what Stone uses?

daksin said:
Stone has a proprietary yeast strain that you can't buy, but if you want to make a clone, WLP007 does a great job. It attenuates more than WLP002 and is less estery.

WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast has been rumored to be Stone's strain.

WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast has been rumored to be Stone's strain.

It's not- direct from Chris White: SD Super doesn't come from any San Diego brewery. Like I said, Stone has a proprietary strain that is not sold. I'll see if I can dig up the strain # for you. SD Super is also good for stone clones in that it's not estery at all, ferments fast and flocs extremely hard. It is a much more finicky yeast to work with though. It's my house strain, so I know.

The reason some folks think one strain or the other is Stone's baby is that Stone's yeast is said to be an old British strain, which would fit with WLP007 since it flocs hard, ferments dry, and is not very estery, and the same with WLP090 (which is even more flavor-neutral).

Personally, I'd be willing to bet good money that WLP090 is a descendant of a British strain based on its hard floccing abilities and its freaking incredible need for oxygen and tight temperature control, but neither one is Stone's yeast. Both make for good clones, as I said, though.

Another vote for Pacman. If you bottle condition beers then this stuff is great. It is like cement at the bottom if the bottle at serving temps. But my favorite thing about Pacman is its forgiving nature. Even higher ferm temps will produce a good beer which I cannot say about other yeasts I have used. Couple that with its speed and flocculation and it makes for a very nice house strain.

My house yeast is Bell's.
Doesn't floc like a rock, but not bad with a little time. My kegged brews take about a week and a half and that's without cold crash or clearing agents.

I've got a starter of Bell's going right now for a Two-Hearted clone. What fermentation temps do you recommend?

I've got a starter of Bell's going right now for a Two-Hearted clone. What fermentation temps do you recommend?

I have been making my TH in the mid 60's and that works out well. Even getting up in the 68-69 range doesn't seem to bother this yeast.

Back