Pilsen Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
My LHBS gave me a smokin deal on 3 sacks of pilsen malt. I couldn't pass up three sacks of it. So now I have 165 pounds of pilsen malt and a guy can only brew so many belgian ales and lagers. So, I am wondering if anybody has any experience using pilsen as a base malt for other ales? IPA, Porter, Stout, etc..etc.. I think for IPA it will be just great, but not sure about other styles. I am thinking that with porters and stouts the base malt really doesn't shine through all that much because of the liberal use of specialty/roasted malts and grains.

I was listening to an old brewing network podcast and some professional brewer claimed that he used pilsner malt in all of his beers including IPAs, pales, browns, stout, etc.

100% Pilsner malt is the typical grain bill for Saisons. Saisons make great base beers for all sorts of additions (spices, florals, fruits), so sky's the limit there.

50% Pilsner malt with 50% Wheat is the traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen grain bill.

I made a pilsner-based Pale Ale two weeks ago because I was out of two-row. I suspect it won't be that much different than two row.

Remember to boil for 90 min instead of 60 min with any grain bill with lots of Pilsner malt to drive off DMS!

I made an IPA with a pilsen base. I noticed no difference then if i had used pale malt.

Back