Cold Crash - Longer to Bottle Carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorforty

Reaction score
hey guys,

Batch #6 here, just cold crashed for a few days before bottling, and man did it clear up the beer!

Question is, I bottled on Tuesday, and batch primed with DME. I always use at least 1-2 plastic bottles so I can get a sense of when they are carbed...but so far, nothing. Normally...first 5 batches, plus a whole bunch of Mr. Beer batches...they'd be firm by now.

Does it take longer for the beer to carb up if you bottle when it's cold?

Ron

It will take a bit longer, the beer needs to warm up, then the yeast need to wake up and do their thing. They are in a harsh envirnoment with the relatively high alcohol content. Store them in the 70's for 2-3 weeks.

Pokerface,

It was in the fridge (approx 40 deg) for 2-3 days. It was an IPA...about 6.3 ABV.

Ron

After all of your beer has been bottled and capped, place it in a dark location with a consistent temperature. You will want to condition your beer close to the temperature you fermented. Conditioning is extremely important for both carbonation and flavor. It will take at least a week or more for the bottles to carbonate. In addition, you will drastically improve the flavor of your beer by allowing it to condition longer at a constant temperature

Just as a pure numbers issue, yes, cold crashed beer will take longer to carb. You saw how much stuff got dropped to clear you beer, right? A lot of that was yeast. Don't worry though, there is still plenty of yeast left to ferment the tiny amount of sugar you added to prime. They just need to get back up to room temp for a while and get going again.

Back