Winter Brew- Recipe Help Snickerdoodle Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctayl9jq

Reaction score
I need a bit of help forming a recipe for my winter beer, I am thinking a Snickerdoodle Stout.

I was going to base it off of the none more black vanilla stout in the recipe forums (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/index2.html) but It needs a bit of altering, and I am not sure where exactly I am trying to go with it. My edits are in bold.

I am thinking I can mash and sparge with sticks of cinnamon roughly crushed (maybe broken into 3 pieces) my question is how much. I found this link referencing coffee ( http://www.ehow.com/how_4884069_make-snickerdoodle-flavored-coffee.html ) and they use 2 sticks for 12 cups (60 oz). If i use that ratio, I need about 30 sticks of cinnamon, which sounds a bit excessive.

Also I think I should add a bit of lactose to get the "Cinnamon Sugar" sweetness, and a bit of Oat to get the biscuit flavor

What do you guys think? Too much?

8.88 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.84 %
2.88 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 21.67 %
0.92 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.89 %
0.61 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %

1.00 lb Flaked oat
30 Sticks Cinnamon, roughly "ground"

0.52 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU

.5 lb Lactose, Vanilla bean and Cinnamon stick aged
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

3 Madagascar vanilla beans added to fermenter
1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

You could always infuse some cheap vodka with the cinnamon and then add it to your beer at bottling/kegging.

Yea I knew I could do that, But i am not sure how much Cinnamon to use. I want it to have the flavor, and aroma, but dont want it to be overpowering.

1.5 ml of liquid in 12 oz is equal to 3 oz in 5 gals. So...you can test the cinnamon by making the extract with vodka then putting 1.5 ml in a 12 oz beer similar to what you are making. Take a sip, add a little more, take a sip...when it tastes right, convert the final amount of ml to oz for your 5 gal batch. I used this method to make a vanilla Porter, ended up using 3 oz in 2.5 gallons and it was perfect.

Back