Initial gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agsensi

Reaction score
O from local brew shop got corona cloan recipe said start with one or two gal cold water add corn flakes and grain bring to boil add dme and other stuff boil hr then add water to fill remaining to 5 gal ended boil with only 1 gal after boil and began 2 galsjust did gravity test 1.030 seemes low to me and smell of wert seems too watered down not as strong smelling as other brews So my ? Is do you thing this beer is going to be too watered down tasting when completed and is 1.030 kinda low as a starter gravity I'm still new to this only had 4 brews prior which were basic dark basic light basic wheat then octoberfest those 3 all came out great thanks in advanced and sorry for my book. Figured would explain all I could to reduce ?s.

Recipe

4 lbs light dme
1lb pale malted barley
1 lb flaked maize
1oz snazzy hops
1 pk finishings

Seems about right to me. I've never tried to make something that low. Usually, I'm using almost 10lbs of LME and.getting an SG of 1.080.

Go to brewersfriend.com and punch thosenumbers in to see what it estimates.

1.030-1.040 seems about where that recipe would be.

it may look like a corona clone but be nowhere near the 5.5% range and it might be darker.

do a mini mash with maybe double the corn, swap pilsen/extra light DME for the light DME and you'd be closer. might even use rice as 20% of your extract build.
brewing american light lagers is quite difficult.

Transferred to my keg today after 2 weeks and tasted a lil not carbonated tasted like water with just a super small hint of beer kinda gross maybe better once carbonated? And cold?

Once was cold and carbonated brought out flavor quite a bit more.

Always better when cold/carbonated/conditioned.

The initial gravity largely depends on the final volume of water (not to mention it varies among styles) you have in your ferementer, probably happened is that you used a bit less water, an extra liter of water can significantly alter the Gravity of your wort.

That said, when it's all done if it tastes good but watery just use a bit less the next-time you make the recipe.
Relax, dont worry, and have a Homebrew!

Latest posts

Back