My Home Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landshark

HMFIC
Reaction score
Figure I'll add to the endless wonderful threads here.

Pics suck, as these are off an old iphone. (These were lost on a server, so I'm updateing from my photo-bucket account)

Boiling one of my first 10 gallon batches prior to going electric
IMG_0315.jpg

The Keezer in build, missing one faucet
IMG_0266.jpg

Initial first run of the keezer
IMG_0264.jpg

Test fitting I could get 4-ball-lock kegs in the base!!!
IMG_0255.jpg

Added the collar and temp control
IMG_0548.jpg

Finished and in place!!
Keezer.jpg

NIce!! Is that first pint glass a hefeweizen? looks like the hefe I just finished

Is a Bavarian Wheat

5# 2row
5# Red Wheat

0.5 oz Perle 60 min
1 oz Willemette 5 min

3638 Wyeast Bavarian Wheat.

Simple wheat. easy drinker. I don't think it fermented out fully as I can drink a lot before I even feel tipsy at all. But it was old yeast. :drunk:

Do you have 2 chest freezers? One a 4 tap keezer and one a fermentation/ carbing chamber?

Do you have 2 chest freezers? One a 4 tap keezer and one a fermentation/ carbing chamber?

No:(, the one that appears to be a carbing chamber is actually an "in progress" pic of the keezer build. I hadn't drilled the holes for the shanks yet, but had everything else in the chamber.

I have a stand up fridge I use for fermentation, I'll get a pic of it posted in the next week or 2 after I get my Cerveza in it to lager.

I prefer the stand up for lagering as I fell less apt to drop a 5 or 10 gal batch sitting it in a chest.

New Tap Handles for the Keezer worked out on the lathe.
Few in-progress pics.
Woods used are Hedge, Cherry, and Walnut.
IMG_15801.jpg

IMG_15831.jpg

IMG_15761.jpg

IMG_15781.jpg

I'm betting that if you ever get bored of brewing, people would love some custom tap handles :p

I'm betting that if you ever get bored of brewing, people would love some custom tap handles :p

It was pretty fun making them as I made them all off the cuff. Just started digging into them. If I decide to make some more i may put some up for sale. We'll see.

Is it pretty easy to make the threads in the bottom?

This is to me the hardest part. I'm using brass thread inserts, you have to drill a hole center on the wood (did this first w/ an engine lathe and center set. then tap it so the thread insert will screw in. with the thin walls i was having issues with the wood wanting to split out. I'm looking for some better inserts for my next build.

I dig the handles. They look really nice. I have a few objects laying around that I would like to use and was thinking about making a supportive wooden base for them. I didn't know how difficult it was. Was thinking about using a tap and die, but your method seems like it might be easier.

It was pretty fun making them as I made them all off the cuff. Just started digging into them. If I decide to make some more i may put some up for sale. We'll see.

For what it's worth, I would buy some. They look great -- I don't think you would have any trouble selling them.

landshark said:
New Tap Handles for the Keezer worked out on the lathe.
Few in-progress pics.
Woods used are Hedge, Cherry, and Walnut.

I like your tap handles. I recently bought some sycamore turning blanks for making three tap handles for my beer fridge. I named my home brewery Sycamore Valley Brewing because there are about 20 sycamore trees in the valley behind my new house. Anyway, we share two hobbys, brewing and woodworking. I am on the forums at woodbarter.com and woodworkingtalk.com under the same user name. You should check them out if you haven't already.

Two cents from a guy that's made a couple handles, I prefer the hex head threaded inserts from Grainger or Fastenal:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0161593

They go in better than the brass and hold strong. The only thing to note is that to ensure you get enough threads on your tap, you need to leave the hex drive space out of the handle and grind it off. Again though, I'm just relaying what has worked for me.

https://plus.google.com/photos/118272351657959223673/albums/5691368705689385617

Dude, I'm loving the tap handles. I need to get into that! I looks fun indeed.

Hm... First pics are gone. I'll add some new one. Added 2 Nitro taps over the weekend. Also made some new handles.

IMAG0737.jpg

It's getting crowded in a Hair 7.1 cuft freezer.
FB_IMG_13632142275775380.jpg

FB_IMG_13632142435211361.jpg

FB_IMG_13632142321037919.jpg

Back