Spent Grain Beer Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimnl

Reaction score
Hi all - I know there's a whole bunch of spent grain recipes on the forums; but I thought I would add mine. I just finished brewing my second batch last night and dried out the spent grain for about 8 hours at 200 degrees in a baking sheet.

Here's a step by step image gallery: http://imgur.com/a/ZqbDp

Mix in a bowl:
3 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup dried spent grain
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking yeast

Add:
2 tbsp honey
1 12oz beer (I used a hoppy IPA made by a coworker - similar to a Victory HopDevil)

Knead the dough together and the let it stand for 2 hours with a clean kitchen towel over it.

After two hours start preheating the oven to 450 degrees. I stretched out the dough in to a rectangular form and placed it on a wax paper sheet on a baking tray. This tray goes in the middle of the oven. On a lower level in the oven you put a baking tray with approx. 1 cup of water. Bake for 25 minutes at 450. When done baking, turn off the heat and leave the loaf in the oven for another 10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool. Enjoy!

I made two of these loafs today - tried it with some butter when hot, as well as with mayo and some cold cuts. Came out great! Hope someone else decides to try it :)

Just made 2 loafs one with kolsh and one with hop head about to stick them in the oven, can't wait to try them!

These came out awesome! I am going to be making these all the time! The kolsh loaf is phenomenal! Thanks soo much for this recipe your the man

Here's how they look!

ForumRunner_20120220_220113.jpg

Awesome! Glad you liked them! Still have a bunch of dried out spent grain - might have to make another loaf tomorrow just because of this :p

Trying this tonight. I used a bit more grains cuz I'm like that. I am also using a double chocolate stout for the beer.

Recipe looks great!

I've made spent grain bread about a half a dozen times now. I've yet to use a recipe because a) I'm lazy and b) I've made a lot of bread over the last n years. I usually do a starter with some (bread) yeast, brown sugar (or maple syrup), and water (mix together w/o yeast, raise to 100-105 in microwave, add yeast, let sit (covered) for an hour or two. In terms of the bread itself, I use about 2 cups of spent grain, maybe 4 cups of bread flour, about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, a little salt, and then the yeast mixture from above. All the ingredients are approximate, I will add additional flour or water based on the consistency of the dough. I sometimes add raisins, if so, I add them towards the end of mixing the dough.

To the posters who use a bread machine....don't. Well, use the bread machine to do the kneading, but don't bake it in the bread machine. Another tip: Buy yourself a pizza stone. This is great for making bread, and I use it for most breads. Simply put some corn meal on it, then shape your bread and place it on top. Let the bread do the rise stage on it (and optional punch down), then bake the bread on top of the pizza stone. This makes for an awesome crust. Bake in oven @ 350 for about 30 minutes. (You can determine if the bread is done by hitting the bottom of the loaf with a wooden spoon and listening to the sound.)

I made a batch of beer today (SN Celebration clone), and saved some of the spent grains. If conditions permit tomorrow (i.e. I don't go skiing), I will try to make some bread and post pictures.

I don't necessarily make spent grain bread but I will use them for flavor and texture in any recipe that involves bread. I especially like using dark specialty grains for whole wheat bread or cinnamon rolls. Here are some pics where I went one step further and made a tea of left over hops from a brew. I substituted the hops tea for the water in the recipe and added 3 tbsp of spent grain for flavor and texture.

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Dear Sublmnl,

Instead of the honey, try about 3-4 tablespoons of dried malt. Dissolve in just enough water (warm) to suspend it. Using spent grain in bread is just the right thing to do. Keep up the good work.

RS

My wife makes 'beer grain' bread all the time but she only uses a bread machine for the dough. She then takes it out, rolls it again and let's it rise and uses the oven to bake. We've found bread machines didn't do a good enough job but letting it do most of the dough work is great!
It always tastes good.

What I'm seeing AND hearing is stupendous. Keep up the good work and enjoy yourselves. Anybody got a Big Green Egg? Got one for Father's Day. 'Course first thing I did was bread. OFS (outfknkstanding). Sell a kid, live in your car, borrow from Western Sky, or steal one! You fkn gotta bake bread in one. I can't wait till it's -30F. I'm makin' more beer bread ( and beer ).

Recipe for the next batch:

Measure nothing. Start with about 2 1/2 cups o' water and go from there.
Dry malt
Water ( boil. Malt likes to dissolve in hot water )
Good measure of dried malt ( HANDFULL ) in the water.
Make sure water's not more than 105F degrees. You'll kill the yeast, dummy!
You're mixing this, right? Keep it moving.
Throw in flour to make a sloppy sponge ( that's baker talk for sloppy sponge ). You know, gooey soup.
Take break for a half hour ( or more - two or three beers ). Let the soup rest. You too.
Yeast should appear really happy.
Throw in spent grain. You know, just enough. Ok, ok, two to three cups. GOD! Why do I have to keep telling you. Don't measure. You can't fck this up.
Add some oil. I don't care - 30 weight!
Mix, mix, mix ( I hope you got a KitchenAid 'cause yer arm is gonna hurt ).
Keep adding flour with your dough hook attachment ( KitchenAid right? ) until the mess pulls away from the sides.
Whew!
Knead the hell out of it for 5 - 10 minutes.
Make a big ball out of it, tucking in the underside, and put it in a BIG stainless bowl that you've probably forgotten to oil. Cover, drink more beer. Let rise till at least doubled in size.
Punch it.
Divide it ( in two ).
Make loaves or whatever, let rise again.
Bake it. Anywhere from 350 to 450F depending on crust texture desire. I'm not going to tell you how long. You figure it out.

NOTE: You could use beer instead of water. It only makes sense. Just don't heat it too hard ( or at all ). Proofing will take longer. But, hey. What are you really doing to save the world?

This bread pairs exceptionally well with a good balogna. And a beer.

What I'm seeing AND hearing is stupendous. Keep up the good work and enjoy yourselves. Anybody got a Big Green Egg? Got one for Father's Day. 'Course first thing I did was bread. OFS (outfknkstanding). Sell a kid, live in your car, borrow from Western Sky, or steal one! You fkn gotta bake bread in one. I can't wait till it's -30F. I'm makin' more beer bread ( and beer ).

Recipe for the next batch:

Measure nothing. Start with about 2 1/2 cups o' water and go from there.
Dry malt
Water ( boil. Malt likes to dissolve in hot water )
Good measure of dried malt ( HANDFULL ) in the water.
Make sure water's not more than 105F degrees. You'll kill the yeast, dummy!
You're mixing this, right? Keep it moving.
Throw in flour to make a sloppy sponge ( that's baker talk for sloppy sponge ). You know, gooey soup.
Take break for a half hour ( or more - two or three beers ). Let the soup rest. You too.
Yeast should appear really happy.
Throw in spent grain. You know, just enough. Ok, ok, two to three cups. GOD! Why do I have to keep telling you. Don't measure. You can't fck this up.
Add some oil. I don't care - 30 weight!
Mix, mix, mix ( I hope you got a KitchenAid 'cause yer arm is gonna hurt ).
Keep adding flour with your dough hook attachment ( KitchenAid right? ) until the mess pulls away from the sides.
Whew!
Knead the hell out of it for 5 - 10 minutes.
Make a big ball out of it, tucking in the underside, and put it in a BIG stainless bowl that you've probably forgotten to oil. Cover, drink more beer. Let rise till at least doubled in size.
Punch it.
Divide it ( in two ).
Make loaves or whatever, let rise again.
Bake it. Anywhere from 350 to 450F depending on crust texture desire. I'm not going to tell you how long. You figure it out.

NOTE: You could use beer instead of water. It only makes sense. Just don't heat it too hard ( or at all ). Proofing will take longer. But, hey. What are you really doing to save the world?

This bread pairs exceptionally well with a good balogna. And a beer.
Hey, you copied my recipe! :mug:

Back