Re-using Coolers as Mash Tuns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon cooler that I normally use as my mash tun that apparently was used for my daughter's soccer team to dispense lemonade on the sidelines (much to my dismay).

I had read that kegs should not be re-used that stored similar sugary drinks but I wasn't sure if the same held for mash tuns. My thinking is that if any sugars were left in there after a thorough PBW cleaning that the mas picked up, they would be taken care of in the boil.

Let me know if anyone has had a simliar experience and tried using the cooler again. I would really like to avoid buying another cooler if possible.

Thanks all

If that were true about kegs noboby would be or should be using them. Thankfully it is not true.

My personal opinion is a good soaking with hot water and PBW or unsented Oxyclean should make the cooler just fine for re-use,

Sounds like you're trying to justify getting a new cooler to use for the mash tun... :rockin:

IF it won't come clean, then just tell them it's theirs forever and not to touch the new one... Time to go with a 10 gallon (or larger) model... :D

Back