WLP001 Cali Yeast testing its limits Fermenting at 79F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
So I made a 32oz starter and pitched it into a 80F Wort (couldn't cool it down fast enough). I'm sure i made a mistake but i read my brew kits instructions and it read "cool wort quickly". So i figured going from 200F to 80F in 20mins is pretty good. My fermentation had a nice krausen in around 5-7 hours. During the day time its sitting at around 78f. At night it goes down to 70f-73f. Instead of trying to keep it cool, i've decided to test this strain capabilety to warm weather. I'm 100% secure of my sanitasion and 78f hopefully isn't too hot. This is my first batch using a starter and i've smelled the wort and it smells like nice beautiful beer and its only been 3 days. I feel the starter has defenetly help this batch out and can't imagine making another batch without one. I will let you guys know if i get any horrible off taste with this strain at high temps. This batch is a golden ale O.G 1.054 if anyone has had any good or bad expiriences with this train or any other chico strain at high temps please let me know.

one of stouts recently fermented around those temperatures(by mistake) but it was notty, which is similar to us05 though. i kegged it today, so will know soon. hopefully the dark roasty will help cover up esters or off flavors.

My Amarillo IPA hit these high temps a few months back; no ill effects at all - I still call it my house ale with pride and share most of the time forgetting that it hit 78 deg for a few days.

Back