Grain storage in the garage (South Florida)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Using an airtight pet food container or a home depot bucket, how long would a sack of malt stay good for in a garage? Outside conditions being mid 90s with high humidity.

Should I consider bagging the malt as well inside the bucket?

I keep mine in the basement in pet food containers with an anti-desiccant. The temperature there never gets over 70F. Under those conditions, Pilsner malts degrade considerably within 4 months, but I have had no problem keeping British malts for 6 months.

-a.

I keep mine in the basement in pet food containers with an anti-desiccant. The temperature there never gets over 70F. Under those conditions, Pilsner malts degrade considerably within 4 months, but I have had no problem keeping British malts for 6 months.

-a.

I envy you northerners, basements are non existent south of Gainesville. Is pilsner malt just picky because of how low its roast is?

I brew very few lagers, so buy very little Pilsner malt. Last time I bough some was about 6 months ago. I bought enough malt for 2 batches, and brewed one batch immediately and the other 4 months later. Before brewing, I tasted the malt. It tasted and smelled good with the first batch, but the second batch had a distinctly stale odor. I brewed anyway, and it is now lagering, so I have no idea what it's going to taste like. I will admit that the second batch (or both batches) could have spent several months in the store before I bought it (them), but I think this is unlikely as I picked two 10 lb bags off the shelf.

I've never had a problem with British malts, but they have a lower moisture content which helps with storage.

-a.

Back