WB-06 impressions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I tried a wheat beer using WB-06. It was a straight 60/40 beer. I pitched the 06 and fermented at 68-70*F.

My thoughts? Very plain and not exciting at all. Other than the cloudiness, it almost like I fermented this beer with an american ale yeast. There are not any yeast characteristics that you would expect with a wheat yeast.

BORING.

I have another package of the stuff, so If anyone has ideas on changing fermentation temps or other things I could try to get a different profile, I am all ears.

-J

Although, last november, I brewed the same heffe base but used T58 which is not at all a heffe yeast. It had a really nice spicy profile, and everyone that tasted it really enjoyed it. However, it cleared up a bit too much though because it doesn't have quite as low flocculation properties as a wheat yeast. My thought is to pitch 1/2 of a t58 and 1/2 a wb06 next time.

-J

I tried a wheat beer using WB-06. It was a straight 60/40 beer. I pitched the 06 and fermented at 68-70*F.

My thoughts? Very plain and not exciting at all. Other than the cloudiness, it almost like I fermented this beer with an american ale yeast. There are not any yeast characteristics that you would expect with a wheat yeast.

BORING.

I have another package of the stuff, so If anyone has ideas on changing fermentation temps or other things I could try to get a different profile, I am all ears.

-J
I have a batch on the go at the moment that's fermented at around 73-75F. I'll let you know if there's any more banana/clove at those temperatures.

This yeast does seem to have attracted a fair few less-than-enthusiastic comments. I'll see how mine turns out, but I can see myself going for liquid yeast next time.

I've never used WB-06, but I've tried beer made with it and I wasn't impressed.

I swear by WLP380 for interesting wheat beers.

I have a batch on the go at the moment that's fermented at around 73-75F. I'll let you know if there's any more banana/clove at those temperatures.
I tasted a sample when bottling yesterday. The beer tasted fine, but there was no clove or banana that I could detect. If I hadn't known that I'd used WB-06 I would have guessed it was US-05 - it seems to have finished quite dry, with very little flavor from the yeast. The beer's not bad, but it's plain. Next time I'm using liquid yeast.

Latest posts

Back