liquid sensor - I've been thinking.........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
If I recirculate through a grain bed, in at the top, out at the bottom, through the pump and back in at the top a simple closed loop.

If the flow through the bed was too slow then the pump would suck all the wort from under the grain be and could be damaged, I would like something that would switch the pump off if this happened rather than have to stand there adjusting flow rates. :)

What would I need to do or what sensor could I use to prevent the pump running dry?

Many Thanks. Aamcle

I've spent some time thinking about this and I can do it with a "jam jar" and a float switch, not high tech but easy to do and should be reliable.

I'm starting to get the bits for the build together:)

Thanks for your help. Aamcle

atoughram said:

I haven't had much luck with flow sensors and Arduinos, it may depend on what else you're doing on the Arduino but the interrupts are limited and I had concerns on the impact to the rest of my code. For what I was measuring (RO system efficiency), it didn't seem incredibly accurate over long periods of time.

Also, with those flow sensors (I have the Swissflow ones), there is a little propeller in there that looks like it would get destroyed by any grain husk or hop leaf it might encounter.

I would consider a method similar to the Blichmann Autosparge or the MoreBeer sparse thing. Those basically keep a certain level of liquid on top of the grain at all times.

You could put a adjustable height thermocouple submersed, assuming the temp would change when no longer submersed.

You could put a adjustable height thermocouple submersed, assuming the temp would change when no longer submersed.

Yes, that might work, also a adjustable current probe setup would work - I've worked on tanks that had probes with small voltage on them - when the liquid touched them, they sensed the level.

OP was talking about recirculating the MLT. Perhaps a mechanical float switch would gunk up with grain and get sticky from wort.

If I recirculate through a grain bed, in at the top, out at the bottom, through the pump and back in at the top a simple closed loop.

If the flow through the bed was too slow then the pump would suck all the wort from under the grain be and could be damaged....

If that is happening then air has to be is getting in somewhere, as it should be impossible to do otherwise.

I do the same thing as you and it' impossible to suck wort from under the MLT false bottom without new wort being introduced from above the false bottom.

So the only two possibilities should be: Constant flow, or stopped flow (pump is off, or false bottom is clogged).

So before looking for a solution that involves liquid sensors as a bandaid solution, I'd fix the problem at the source.

Or maybe i'm not understanding your setup?

Kal

If that is happening then air has to be is getting in somewhere, as it should be impossible to do otherwise.

I do the same thing as you and it' impossible to suck wort from under the MLT false bottom without new wort being introduced from above the false bottom.

So the only two possibilities should be: Constant flow, or stopped flow (pump is off, or false bottom is clogged).

So before looking for a solution that involves liquid sensors as a bandaid solution, I'd fix the problem at the source.

Or maybe i'm not understanding your setup?

Kal
There was a thread a few months back about a bent up FB due to a stuck sparge and the pump sucking enough to pull the grain down onto the FB enough to bend it. I think this and cavitating the pump is the main reason for this safety feature. I agree that you would not likely see "air" under the FB but more the FB collapsing/crushing.
Using a grant with a hi/low level switch control of the pump would be the surefire method.
Or a pressure sensor that cuts the pump out if it senses a low pressure under the FB.

Back